Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Lightbulb Link2FS + Slide Potentiometer

Hi guys!

I am totally brand new to the Arduino game! Having tinkered with the Raspberry Pi and hacking keyboards to make simple flight cockpit switches I have read into using Link2FS and an Arduino Mega.

I have an Arduino Mega 2560 and am holding off on buying the encoders / potentiometer.

I have read so many contradicting threads on using slide potentiometes, rotary encoders etc for throttle and mixture and am just overwhelmed.

Can anyone suggest the best method for creating a throttle? This is for a Cessna 172R so not the big Boeing throttles with servos etc!

I just want to get some direction on the type of
    potentiometer or encoder I need and any advice on how I can get this physically doing things on my FSX using Link2FS as I have well and truly thrown myself in the deep end!

Cheers
    Ash

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Link2FS + Slide Potentiometer

There are many different ways to build a throttle, I struggled for a long time. I eventually modelled mine after the original FDS throttle. I used geared rotary pots on mine. I have 3-d models for a pretty good set of handles, I printed mine and they are fantastic. The gates are stopped-out with the ball-catch, and thrust reverse is stopped-out with a block that gets cleared when you pull up on the thrust reverse handles. I have seen several built with slide pots too, I was just more comfortable with rotary. I have pics posted elsewhere on this forum. If you get to the point you want to try something out, email me here and I will see what I can do to help you.

For what it's worth, Westozy uses rotary pots on his throttles, and I would consider his to be the definitive model to which all others are compared.

Thanks for the reply!

As I say I don't mind how I do it, pot, rotary, I just want to get it working!

Do you know of any threads showing how I would wire a rotary encoder up to my Arduono mega and how I would configure that to work with my throttle in link2fs? Still trying to wrap my head around Arduino!

as I said I will be making a Cessna 172 throttle and I think the building part I will be fine with it's the electronics I am having trouble planning so any help is much appreciated.

I will have a look around and see if I can find anyone on here who has posted an example of how to get a rotary working on the mega. Hopefully once I get it all working I can compile a tutorial so it will help others in my situation!

cheers!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Well I would suggest first that we verify that link2fs can handle analog inputs, I am under the impression that it cannot. I use one of Leo Bodnar's boards, and I have a DIY MJoy board that both do multiple analog inputs, as well as rotary encoders and switches. Neither of these is directly compatible with link2fs. Both appear as USB HID type devices, and can be configured with Windows control panel, as well as with add-on programs to read switches and simulate key presses. In my case, I have the A320,so I also use FSUIPC to configure thrust reverse settings.

I cannot say enough good things about Leo's boards, they are awesome. For ease of use and great support, they are a bargain. If you only need a single throttle, you could also cannibalize a surplus analog USB joystick and connect it to your mechanics. Lot's of people that only need a single analog input go this route. If you need some inputs for switches, etc., MJoy type boards have a lot to offer too. They offer lot's of inputs, including analog, and work great with FSX.

I hope someone else will chime in and verify that I am correct about the analog input support in link2fs. Keep posting, if I can help at all I will.

Link2FS can definitely handle pots through a Mega. There are a number of analog/digital convertor pins on the mega. Check out the "Potentiometer_Input" INO demo in "New Demo INOs" when you download Link2FS and its associated example files.

Thanks for the info, I have hooked up some switches into my Mega and link2fs and they work like a charm and I'm really pleased how simple it was 100x simpler than the keyboard hacks I was doing!

As for the pots I may give one a go today, any tips on where in link2fs I can find throttle settings?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiFlight View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have hooked up some switches into my Mega and link2fs and they work like a charm and I'm really pleased how simple it was 100x simpler than the keyboard hacks I was doing!

As for the pots I may give one a go today, any tips on where in link2fs I can find throttle settings?

thanks again

The Simconnect Inputs page is probably fine for most standard aircraft, but for PMDG etc the expert pages and "offsets" required.
    e.g. For a FSX aircraft, Simconnect codes C56XXX (where XXX is 0-100% for throttle 1, read from your pot)

Thanks for the clarification! Now to figure out my code for the pot will post how I get on!

I've only done a few demo breadboard builds with pots to prove control of throttles and rotary switches (flaps) through Links2FS. No expert, but it seemed to work fine.

Let us know if probs and I'm sure others here can share code as required. I really appreciate everything Jim and others have shared here, but never quite happy until I've tinkered and understood the circuit and code (or think I do )

Ok I am having an issue I have my pot working on mixture.

My mixture I am using C58 from 0-100 however in my A2A Cessna 172 the mixture goes from full rich to about 50% out before stopping. In the default cessna it works fine because it has much shorter travel than in the A2A.

I tried doing the mixture in the expert section which is where i have my throttle but it does nothing at all in there, no movement. I tried changing the range of my output from C580 sliding to C58100 to a minus number C58-100 sliding to C58100 to see if it would pull out the mixture further but had no luck!

Hit a bit of a wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast