Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A320 Cockpit Liners

Hello guys - I'm new here and have an idea. I am building an A320 Sim in Ireland.

So far, I've been quoted 50,000+ for parts made from plastic. Fair enough you might say, but I have a solution to the cost of cockpit fit out. (Windows, panels etc)

In order for me to get there with the manufacturer here in Ireland, I need CAD or Sketchup drawings of the A320 cockpit interior parts. Any idea where I would get these. I don't mind paying for them.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Paul

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: A320 Cockpit Liners

Hi Paul, you can get dimensions at this website -- https://cockpitsim.wordpress.com/201...plan-und-mase/

Are you planning to produce plastic (?fiberglass) interior liners? If so I would be interested.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Omni,

Thanks for your reply. We have already approached cockpit sim but they are suggesting that their model isn't good enough to take from CAD to manufacturing, which leaves an issue.

We are proposing to build the core liners our of ESB (A very high quality durable Polystyrene). They will then be coated with the airbus RAL coloured plastic. This makes them light and affordable.

Paul

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I think the drawings from the above site are also 50 euros to buy as well.

Vier Im Pott sells the liners but he charges 1000's of euros, I think he went from home cockpit builder to commercial supplier hence the high costs, many home cockpit builders end up as 'companies' as it pays for their own sim and make money from the hobby.
    GA or the Highway!

10+ Posting Member

Alex

Yes - you're absolutely correct. Their products, whilst excellent, are in my opinion about 25-30% overpriced.

I know the ESB manufacturing and cutting system quite well and I know that they would be suitable for aircraft interior parts that aren't load bearing, like windows and ceiling trims.

I've approached a couple of different A320 sim manufacturers, and they aren't for selling me their CAD drawings, which ofcourse, I can understand!

Any more thoughts?

Paul

Unfortunately these are the only designs I know about.

There are also measurements available on the Internet.

Perhaps it would be better if a CAD designer was brought on board to design the liners (Can you crowd source the funds)?

Will your liners be used for home or commercial use?
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

10+ Posting Member

Alex - Vier Im Pott make exceptional cockpit parts, but for the most, they are quite overpriced. Some of their stuff is just ridiculous. I appreciate that they are manufacturing to the highest quality. Granted. But, I believe I can get it looking the same for 1/3 of the cost.

Omni - I've got every measurement I possibly can from the internet and from A320 family pilots that I know, but there is only so much that we can do without a CAD design. A CAD designer, unless specifically from an aviation design background won't be able to do it I don't believe, even if money was no object.

It's a tough one - there is always the option of using Cockpit Sims raw data as it currently stands and adapt them ourselves. That's the road we're looking at now.

The liners will be designed for use in home or self built cockpits, but that doesn't mean those parts can't be used in professional level self build cockpits. They will certainly be strong enough.

Our sim is being designed as a professional type sim, which is why as much accuracy as possible is needed.

http://www.janus-cockpit.com/ also produces interior liner parts, but they might also be targeting commercial customers.

25+ Posting Member

Fs Cockpit is offering a complette shell for 5500€ + shipping

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

The problem you will find in this hobby, especially with me being a member of this site for over 8 years is that, those that do conquer amazing hurdles such as manufacturing liners and niche parts, then turn their 'hobby' into a business and then the price goes rocketing up as you have to pay for all the development, labour and manufacturing costs, thats very fair to say, but I dont think one can produce liners and be 'willing' to sell them for a 1/3 of the cost, especially when so much development and time has gone into a product. Pro manufactured liners are likely to be produced using tooling, and tooling is VERY expensive. Vacuum forming is cheaper and is a good alternative, but equally the part may need to be manufactured as 2 sides and welded together as vacuum forming requires the real part to act as a 'plug' and easily be removed from the formed sheet. You could fibreglass certain panels, but again this is lengthy, and costly....and messy. But the part will be very 'heavy' so not so good for roof liners etc. Please realize that producing liners for an A320 flight deck is an extremely niche project and will undoubtedly have many hurdles along the way, some you will jump and some may just trip you up. Also having 'the demand' from fellow builders will certainly help with costs if any can chip in to the manufacturing process and as a small group this could be achieved.
    GA or the Highway!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast