Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: A320 Cockpit Liners

Totally commited here! We will have to talk shipping too.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Edit: Just researched ESB and I know exactly what it is now, its funny because my pet snake has a 3D rock effect background made from it in his vivarium, and I think my washing machine's packaging had 2 trays made from it and it was very hard to brake up by hand to dispose of. Very durable indeed. Looks like there are a few companies around that can model in ESB, many such companies make props etc for film sets, exhibitions etc. I am really beginning to understand it now and its low cost. I really like the idea.
    Please explain what ESB is...my googling is not turning up anything useful I would also be interested to know if there is any additional plastic layer of painting required or will the material come out set as required?

Cheers.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Agreed very little on the net, but it is mentioned in places. I think its made by a company called Dow. ESB is like a toughened polystyrene, almost impossible to brake by hand and will need some force to do so. It feels more solid that poystyrene, and its more compact. Only thing I can imagine that you may be aware of is in the RC hobby. Many planes and gliders are made from it instead of balsa due to its strength and ultra light weight. Just think Polystyrene but a lot harder/rigid. You will have a similar feedback cutting ESB as of some light woods. You need a saw to cut it id say, thin sheets could probably cut with a knife with some force, but it would probably hurt your hand though.
    GA or the Highway!

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

I would also like to add in here, that I am keeping a close eye on the development that Paul is looking at. GLB Flight Products are always looking to expand our range in the most economically viable way possible both for ourselves and our customers.

The ESB approach is an interesting one, and will shortly P.M paul to offer our services through distribution, investment, marketing, or cad design in order to fully investigate the viability of this product for the membership on this forum.

I thoroughly enjoy working with people that have a passion for developing new products, especially those that think outside the box and will be more than willing to help in any way we can.

Best Regards

Geremy Britton ARAeS
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

But when vendors start getting involved, the price starts going up. Surely this hobby is about keeping the whole thing as low cost as possible. Its when vendors start getting involved the price goes rocketing up because of the costs of the marketing, eCommerce, and having to make a profit. In terms of the 'sim community' I would like to think that community is about helping each other realize your dreams and making it affordable. I think the whole idea here is to keep this as low cost as possible and I think all will agree.
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 08-04-2016 at 09:30 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves and see how the sample is first.

Paul -- thank you for taking the initiative. I think if this goes ahead as planned you at least have 5 orders, possibly more confirmed.

AlexJ -- this stuff --

Attached Images Attached Images
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Ben - Thats not it, the thing is, if anyone took a picture of it, it would just look like normal packaging foam. Ive seen it in grey on a model rc and in white so far. Its blimmin hard to get a google result. I think they may call it something different perhaps.
    GA or the Highway!

10+ Posting Member

It's also called EPS. Extruded Polystyrene Sheet. Or commonly in the UK, Craft Foam. Sample has arrived. It's good, but not good enough. It resembles an A320 window, but having checked the dimensions against what I have, I think it's slightly wrong. Here lies the major issue. We absolutely need to have the correct dimensions and I'm not convinced I do.

I am wondering if anyone on here could use the Aerosoft A320 virtual cockpit and turn it into a CAD or sketchup model so that we can actually scale it properly.

I'm so frustrated with this, it has the mileage to go far if we can get it right.

Thought anyone?

10+ Posting Member

For anyone that wants to know more, here is a supplier in the UK: http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/craftfoam-blue

Does it have to be an specific CAD designer Paul? Can we 'hire' a freelance CAD designer and try this route first by plugging in the values?

Here are some local CAD designers in Australia --

http://3dprint-au.com/3d-design/hire_designer/

Or is there a way we can '3D print' the results we need?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast