10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Software Reccomendations to display Gauges on a Panel

Hello, all, I've been wracking my brain and wearing out Google trying to decide on a panel building software. In my cockpit, I have 2 saitek radios, a saitek switch panel and multipanel, and the Desktop Aviator GPS. So, now, what I really need is to display my instruments neatly on a separate LCD panel over my yoke. I no longer have room for a BIP, so I want indicator lights on this panel as well. I want to customize it to suit my own cockpit layout design rather than trying to mimic a particular aircraft, with a more generic style (a simple background color or texture that matches my cockpit, for example)

I'm reading about simPlugins PanelBuilder, FS Panel Studio, Sim Touch Gauges, and simTouch Plus 2. I don't need touch capability, and am running everything on 1 computer only, so I don't need networking. PanelBuilder seems like my best choice, but the demo was too limited to really assess it. Plus, I'd like to avoid paying $50 if there is a better solution. I couldn't tell if Panel Studio will allow me to use a simple background. I am running FSX.

thanks, Dave

Re: Software Reccomendations to display Gauges on a Panel

With FS Panel Studio you can easily create your desired panel and to use almost all gauges that are installed in the SIM. And that's a lot. In Avsim there are additional gauge that you can integrate. A demo version of PanelStudio exists. I can help you with this.
    If you can only one panel need I create for you. only need a template. Would of course for free.

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the reply, Skino! Will it allow me to use a solid color or texture as a background rather than a cockpit image? Will it allow me to add an annunciator panel as well as gauges?

Yes

and yes

10+ Posting Member

Fantastic. I will check it out, and will definitely ask you for help if I need it.

best, dave

150+ Forum Groupie

Other utility:
    The Gauges Factory......

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/down...do=file&id=544

Regards.
    Horacio.

10+ Posting Member

Quick Update: I saw a demo of Air Manager from Sim Innovations at this years FlightSimCon. I decided to try it out, and eventually bought it. I am impressed by it and so far.

-d

Quote Originally Posted by monkeysuncle View Post
    Quick Update: I saw a demo of Air Manager from Sim Innovations at this years FlightSimCon. I decided to try it out, and eventually bought it. I am impressed by it and so far.

-d
    You made a good call. The main difference between FS Panel Studio and the rest is that FS Panel studio allows you to create a 2d gauge set rendered within FSX using the same method as the existing 2d panels while the other methods read the data from the sim that you tell it to and renders the gauges in a separate application. The advantage of FSPS is that since the gauges shown are actual in-sim 2d gauges, they will always show what they should show. The problem with most of the external programs is that they can only read from default variables, meaning that certain instruments will work even if the necessary electrical bus isn't on. This was why I was using FSPS for the longest time (Ex: The ADI bank indication requires the No.2 inverter to be on or transferred, a condition that most of the external programs cannot emulate). But Air Manager now allows you to use custom variables, which means I can now use it for my build. Air Manager has probably the best customization, allowing you to use your own bitmaps and read from custom variables, plus there is no impact on the sim performance itself. Because of all that, I think you made a good choice with Air Manager.

9. Thanks monkeysuncle thanked for this post