Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PoKeys USB Interface

Hello All,

If you have questions about my article, please feel free to ask.

I'm playing with several of these cards and right now I'm testing these with ProSim737 (version not yet released). Already tested digital inputs and analog inputs, wonderfull and very easy.

Tell me what you think of it.

Kind regards, Wendy
    http://www.flightsimparts.eu
    PoKeys interface cards

2. Thanks LarsP, 737NUT, JWS, Hessel Oosten thanked for this post
    Programmer

Re: PoKeys USB Interface

I like the card very much. With phidgets, I always had 16 inputs and 16 unusable outputs on every cards. This card gives us 55 inputs and all ports can be configured to act as input or output depending on your needs. With the small form factor, you can interface an overhead panel with very little space and investment.

We will be releasing the new ProSim version with the PoKeys driver shortly.

4. Thanks Wendy thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

I posted earlier, but I guess it got lost.

I've been using the Pokeys for over a year now and really like the flexibility and low cost to this card and what you can do with it. While the out of the box software that comes with it is very good. A little programming that is very easy and straight forward like you said, you can really acheive some great results.

Over at Hangar45 http://www.hangar45.net I've written a utility to run the PoKeys to operate the RMU's for a LearJet 45 simpit and will eventually add in support for the DU's, lighting and other buttons and switches. The ease of this interfacing has made it easy for me to create and easier for the end user to practically plug and play with their components. Since the release of this video I have modified the app so it starts and runs minimized in the system tray. There's no need to call it up now except for configuration which can be done in minutes. I think this video shows how flexible and great this card is to use.

Mark

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey guys are you a sleep...
    Don't you see the posibilities of this card ?

Let me show you how easy it is to connect a PoKeys device to ProSim737. ProSim supports this device natively. Also you do not have to worry about in or outs because ProSim sets the ports for you automatically.

Start by plugging in a PoKeys device into an USB plug and ProSim will recognize the module immediately. From then on all 55 ports are available for digital input, digital output or analog input. No need to configure anything with the PoKeys software. Simply take it out the delivery box, connect it and you are ready to assign switches and leds to ProSim. PoKeys devices are hot pluggable, that means you can add more devices while ProSim is running.

Now take a look at the ProSim screen below...
    As you can see there are 2 devices connected, that is number 12054 and 12059.

Assign ports
    Now open the "Config"-screen in ProSim and open the "Switches"-page. In this example I'm going to connect the "Parking brake".
    Select the Pokeys device, in my case I used "12059" and selected ports 18 and 19. Press the "OK" button to close the screen and you are ready.

Overview
    On the screen below you can see assigned ports and how it looks.

Regards, Wendy
    PoKeys interface cards

Wendy,

This may sound stupid, but this device is something like the OpenCockpits cards, the SYS cards by FlightDeck Solutions or the Leo Bodnar cards? If so what are the differences and/or advantages with this card? Suppose I want to build an overhead panel, what can I do with these cards (and what not!)?

Thanks,

JWS

150+ Forum Groupie

Hello JWS,

To answer this question I need to make a difference between how you are going to use this card (joystick controller or real USB device).

1- Real USB device (it is real USB and not a virtual com port):

The biggest advantage is that you have a card with 55 ports. They are not preset to 20 digital inputs and 35 digital outputs or something else. No… it is the user that defines how the card is going to be used. As a result, if you need 55 inputs, then the card will handle only inputs. If you need 41 digital outputs, then the card will handle 41 digital outputs leaving you with another 14 ports that you are free to use for whatever you want… for example as 5 analog inputs and another 7 digital inputs.

So if you only need digital outputs, the card will give 55 of them. If you only need digital inputs, the card will handle them also. If you need a combination… the card will give them to you. So it is the user that decides what the card will be used for.

In combination with ProSim the configuration of the card is very simple, no scripts, nothing to define before you can use PoKeys, just plug it into USB. ProSim will do it all for you. You can use multiple cards and they are easy to identify.

Another nice advantage is the price for these 55 ports. Less then 1 euro per port.

Disadvantage is that the software you are using has to be able to talk to the card. Currently only Prosim supports PoKeys natively so that digital in, digital outputs and analog inputs could be used, all 55. I’m sure others will follow.

To answer your overhead question…
    If you have ProSim you could use the card(s) for all your indicators, switches and analog inputs.

2 - Joystick controller:
    Because you are limited here by the 32 inputs and 5 analog inputs, there is not much advantage over the normal joystick controllers. It is just a good alternative and the card can be used as other joystick controllers.

Advantage is that you have a user interface where it is possible to add for example keyboard shortcuts…

Does that answer your question, if not just let me know

Regards, Wendy
    PoKeys interface cards

Wendy,

thank you. So if I was to wire an overhead panel I can connect the LED's to this card and also the toggle switches & rotaries?

JWS

PS So it does not work with PM Systems (yet)?
    Last edited by JWS; 08-07-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added PS

10+ Posting Member

I responded to this thread yesterday with a reply to my use of the Pokeys card and a video of the software I wrote which shows how easy it can be to use, but no idea where it went. I think it's related to my posts with links in it as straight text posts seem to work. Maybe someone will fix it and it will show up?

150+ Forum Groupie

@Jan Willem
    I don't know which software you are planning to use but with the Prosim suite you can connect overhead switches, leds, toggles, rotaries without any problem and very easy.

@MarkL
    Haven't seen your post. Maybe someone can check this. ... or maybe you can post it again.

Regards, Wendy
    PoKeys interface cards

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    @MarkL
    Haven't seen your post. Maybe someone can check this. ... or maybe you can post it again.

Regards, Wendy
    I've already posted it twice, I don't even see a 'post pending approval' if there is one. I even have posted in the support forum with no response. Seems odd on this big of a site to see no response to my issue. Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread on this. I've been using the Pokeys for over a year now and really like the card.

Mark

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast