10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Airbus RMP interfacing

Hi guys,

Has anybody ever converted an Original Airbus Radio Panel for the sim?
    I got everything running except the displays. I just started yesterday with it but so far i have not found a solution to get them to work.
    Any help here would be highly appreciated. If i come up with a solution myself i'll let you know to help someone with the Same problem in the Future

Cheers, Volker

Re: Airbus RMP interfacing

Hi Volker,

I am using original RMP´s. I also got everything running (OC boards) except the displays. Original displays are beyond my knowledge, I guess you need ARNIC interface or maybe Arduino controller board and proper code could work...! I had no time and energy to tackle that, I just replaced the original displays with 7 seg. displays. I think it looks close to original displays.
    http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/data/624/RMP.jpg

Did you use 5v to power optical encoder (IR diode)? What is the interpace you use?

Regards,
    Simon

10+ Posting Member

Hi Simon,

thanks for you reply. To replace the Displays was my thought as well. I'll see if i can get them running otherwise i go for that easier solution as well. As i am planning to add an original Overhead i could then use this for the BAT Displays, but we'll see

Yes i have the Encoder powered with 5V and i am running it with a Bodnar Card. Was the easiest for me.

BR Volker

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Volker,
    Hi Simon,

I am also working on interfacing a real RMP with Flight Sim. I'm using nothing but some cables with female Dupont connectors at the end (ripped out of an old scrap PC case), an Arduino and a 20-pin RM3183D IC to convert the bipolar RZ ARINC429 messages to two outputs of low voltage logic 1's and 0's.

Last night I stayed up until 3 just trying to get it to work. After rewriting the Arduino code completely and using direct port manipulation instead of the slower but more universal commands like digitalRead(), I could flawlessly read the incoming data and pass it on as a serial message.
    After some experimentation with the way it prints the data to the PC through Serial, I started working on a little VB sketch in VS2017 as a temporary solution to reading the incoming data, filtering it according to its label (VHF FREQ), converting the BCD to Decimal using a hacky and inefficient function I tossed together 2 minutes before bed, and then formatting and routing the end result to one of two textboxes (VHF1 and 3) depending on its SDI code.

Today I made a video on this huge progress. I apologize in advance for how incredibly cringy it is. I never speak while filming, and as you can see I am certainly not used to it.

The expenses that I've mentioned are really quite low. The converter chip itself cost me around 4-5 EUR and the shipping was really cheap too. The filtering capacitors, the Arduino, and the wires were things I already had.

As for hacking together a way to interface it ASAP to see if it works, I initially decided on the Jeehell RMP software because it operated through Simconnect and it looked simple yet pretty, however after spending 7 minutes in Cheat Engine trying to find where the frequency is stored and how, I only found a pile of messy data in a one of the addresses, so I gave up on that idea. On the other hand, in FSX I found the COM1 freq in 4 byte mode in a matter of few minutes, and it's quite easily recognizable too. For example, 137.375 would be stored as "13737500". Now all I need to figure out is where the pointer is, since normal addresses change every time you reopen the program.
    I choose memory modification because I don't feel like rewriting or porting the code to C# and learning how to use SimConnect right now. First I want to make a stable program for reading and sorting the incoming data. I also want to improve the functions to increase their efficiency, so the program no longer looks and runs like the 50-minute code it actually is.

I'll let you know of any updates in the future if you'd like! : )

Best regards,
    Dávid