Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Build Is Starting

Hi guys,

i am starting a new build of a GA Aircraft Sim for FSX, as that is what i regularly fly in, down in Aus.

i have starting playing with the Arduino's and link2fs and have some queries.

i plan to have a few inputs for Gear,Flaps,Trim etc, but what i cant quite work out is what is the best way to handle the NAV/COM Stack and Guages?
    I have seen a few posts of people making a whole NAV/COM stack, even someone who made a touch screen controller. ( i do have an old 4" touch screen )
    or even Jims Nav Com Box im unsure as to which route to go.

do people just use a second screen for gauges with a cutout, or make their own guages to work with the arduino?

thanks for all your input!

Andrew.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: New Build Is Starting

Andrew.
    Itīs difficult to answer, since your question is very vague.
    It all depends on how real you want to make your cockpit.

You must say: I want a display that shows me the com1 freq, with an encoder to change this,
    A switch to move the flap, an indicator to show the position of flap, driven by a servo, etc.
    And is important is what plane want to build?.
    Be more specific.
    Regards.
    Horacio.

Thanks Horacio,

to be more specific i think i will be making it relatively easy on myself to start with, and just making all the guages a screen, and the com's an actual series of 7 segment displays with switches, and a few servos/lights etc for the rest. cant wait to get started.

The plane that i am building is a Socata Trinidad. Built by the french so its pretty "comfy"

150+ Forum Groupie

Andrew:
    Maybe this ?

you have one free model (FS2004) in:

http://www.farmboyzimsflightsims.com..._Trinidad.html

Others free models in:
    http://www.flightsim.com/

or this with glass cockpit?

If you ask my choice, the first (analog instruments).

Let me know your choice, and how can i help you.

Regards.
    Horacio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For my sim pit I am using a mix of gauge solutions:

• All my engine gauges are on two open frame LCD displays with a mask over them.
    • Most of my MIP gauges (6 pack plus VORs) are at present rear projected since I could not get the right combination of monitors to fit around the yoke shaft and cover al the gauge positions.
    • And, as budget permits I am replacing the 6 pack and VORs with hardware based gauges

These pics show the Instrument panel with LCD Engine gauges on the copilots side, rear projection guages on the pilots side and radios using 7 segment displays. The second pic shows my first hardware based gauge, a Flight Illusions Attitude Indicator, installed. I can't find a good close up of the Avionics stack but I did find one pic of one of my Comm/Nav radios mounted on my test bench board.

My radios are all 7 segment displays and are Arduino based. The full stack is running on 3 Arduinos. I purchased a set of Javiator radios and modified the boards to fit into standard avionics bay. The face plates are of my own design and 3D printed.

In total between LEDs, 7 Seg displays, servos for flaps, OAT gauge, avionics, AP Elevator Trim Stepper motor, air vent blower motors, Wet Compass, and Gimbal Mounted video camera I am using 8 Arduinos with a few more to be added later. Just for context, here's an exterior view of my sim pit.

Attached Images Attached Images
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4