Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newbie looking for some advice regarding internal re-wiring of a Throttle Quadrant

Good afternoon all,

My first time posting, and I'm happy to begin taking steps to maximizing the realism of my flight simulator. I particularly enjoy flying the 777 in p3d.

To that end, I have taken steps to secure a 777 looking throttle quadrant, which is probably not the most accurate representation of the true TQ, but it could serve if I took some steps to amend some particularly frustrating issues, which is the reason I am posting this message.

Currently, the TQ is OK, but some of the issues I continually face is that on some days button switches work and on other days they simply do not (clicking the button is simply not recognized in the joystick calibration screen on some days, which is very bizarre). Additionally, all three axes (2 throttle 1 flap) are very "noisy," meaning when I accelerate the throttle for example, I see noise in the calibration screen and the signal jumps all over the place - i.e. it's not a smooth linear acceleration. It's gotten to the point where I am too nervous to use the TQ during a VATSIM event because I fear the flaps would perhaps erroneously deploy or the fuel cutoff switch would reset itself. Just in general, there is a lot of "noise" with the buttons and axes. I took steps to disassemble the TQ, here is a picture:

It's an utter mess inside there, and anytime I put my hands near the cable / wiring or touch ANYTHING, all the buttons / axes jump around in the calibration screen. What should my next steps be concerning getting this TQ fully operational and reliable? I.e. no control spikes, etc. I'd like to solicit the opinions of anyone on this board to provide some meaningful advice in terms of some realistic next steps. The worst part concerning this endeavor is that I know NOTHING about electricity, or wiring, for that matter. Are there any useful books or online guides I could read to become acquainted with how these types of electrical interfaces work? I know it cannot be at all that difficult, just need to know what the goal is, and perhaps learn how to sodder.

The IO card inside is from a joystick Logitech 3...

Thanks to anyone who can offer up any help.

Regards,
    Robert

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Newbie looking for some advice regarding internal re-wiring of a Throttle Quadrant

Robert:
    Nobody reply....
    I do not see the picture, but my recommendation is that you use shielded cable between the IO Board and the buttons switches and potentiometers axes.
    There is a cable that comes to work with balanced audio signals (two cables, one red and one black or white) coated with a shield, and on this a layer of insulation.

Always connect the shield to ground (common negative) of the IO Board.
    Look how:

Keep the unshielded portion short as possible, and join the shield in the board side together.
    And one advice: you need the cable with copper shield for soldering, (some cables come in aluminum and can not be soldered)
    Regards.
    Horacio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Newbie looking for some advice regarding internal re-wiring of a Throttle Quadrant

Hi
    I have a hand built tq
    the best way is to use a Leo bodnar card