Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PFD/MFD vs. EFIS vs. PFD/ND

I am getting quite confused with the labelling of the flight deck screens as each company has their own conventions.

I understand what PFDs and NDs are, but I don't quite understand MFDs. A380 has two MFDs next to their Bottom Display Unit, where 737-NG and co have the FMC. I thought MFDs and FMC served roughly the same functions, but Boeing has MFD options as well in addition to the FMC?

Can someone clarify the difference between a ND, MFD, and FMC?

300+ Forum Addict

Re: PFD/MFD vs. EFIS vs. PFD/ND

MFD just means Multi Function Display, so PFD (Primary Flight Display) and ND (Navigation Display) are both MFD's. It means you can decide on which display you want to see your flight information.
    The FMC you actually can't see because it's the Flight Management Computer that's somewhere below you. To operate it, you use the CDU, Computer Display Unit, which is not a MFD. But then FMC and CDU are often confused.
    Hope that clears things up a bit.
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X - Intel i7 4790K@4,6 GHz - GSkill TridentX F3-2400C9D-8GTXD - 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Seagate SSHD 2TB - Asus GTX780 DC2 OC 3GD5 - Windows 10 Professional 64

3. Thanks Avionik thanked for this post
    Likes Avionik liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tiburon View Post
    MFD just means Multi Function Display, so PFD (Primary Flight Display) and ND (Navigation Display) are both MFD's. It means you can decide on which display you want to see your flight information.
    The FMC you actually can't see because it's the Flight Management Computer that's somewhere below you. To operate it, you use the CDU, Computer Display Unit, which is not a MFD. But then FMC and CDU are often confused.
    Hope that clears things up a bit.
    Thanks for explaining FMC vs. CDU.

Is there a difference, in terms of functions, between the two buttoned-CDUs in the 737 that stand on left and right of the bottom System Display and the two touchscreen-MCDUs that stand on left and right of bottom system display of a380?

300+ Forum Addict

I wouldn't think so. I'm not really familiar with the A380 but I think it's safe to say they both do the same thing i.e. programming the flight.
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X - Intel i7 4790K@4,6 GHz - GSkill TridentX F3-2400C9D-8GTXD - 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Seagate SSHD 2TB - Asus GTX780 DC2 OC 3GD5 - Windows 10 Professional 64