Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Oculus Rift Vs SimPit Icarus Avenger 180

Hi Guys,

Lately I been looking to upgrade my simulation experience and I ended up debating between amazing two products:

There are many pros and cons for each one of them:

• Oculus Rift pros: Cheap compared to SimPit, does not involve projectors, provides full immersion experience, requires less in computer hardware

• Oculus Rift cons: It might not be comfortable after few hours on the head, from what I’ve heard cockpit gauges might not be that readable, keyboard and other hardware is not visible, it is a pretty new technology, probably new versions of it to come out in the coming years.

• SimPit pros: Nothing on the head, keyboard and other hardware are visible, seems to be very popular, successful & stable in the market (three huge pros).

• SimPit cons: Way more expensive than the Oculus Rift, includes projectors, needs to be built, requires a very strong PC with a specific graphic card type, immersion experience of 180 degrees only, I’m not sure how readable the gauges will be.

I am posting this with hope to hear your opinion, and experience with these products…
    Big thanks in advance!
    Roy K.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Oculus Rift Vs SimPit Icarus Avenger 180

Roy,
    Have a look at CastAR, possibilities here, domestic release early 2017.
    Les

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

I was an early adapter for the oculus rift (kickstarter backer). https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=752

It is not suitable for flight simulation; you can't look at your charts or instruments in detail. The commercial release of oculus may change that and I will provide feedback when I receive it.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

500+ This must be a daytime job

yes did wonder that aspect of it. With CasAR you get your vr image from looking at a reflecting material. Look elsewhere
    like cockpit gauges and you see normally. Theoretically you could cover a dome with this material and have a view
    like a Astronomical dome. Wejusthave to wait and see how good it works with Fsim.
    Les