Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetranger Build

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Jetranger Build

I have been working on various small projects for the past couple of years and things have finally morphed into a Jetranger build.

Here is a render of what I'm aiming for with the build

A render of how I'm building the circuit breakers, its simple and actually seems to work quite well.

Warning panel

Cheers
    Shawn

2. Likes BushPilotWannabe liked this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Jetranger Build

That's looking awesome! I admire the folks who are able to fabricate professional-looking custom panels with correct lettering and such. What is your build process for the panels?

That's a really clever idea on the circuit breakers! But I have to ask, did you find real CBs too expensive? They can be picked up on ebay for around $2 a piece if you keep your eyes peeled: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121802002977 (I have done business with this particular seller in fact, he's a good guy to work with and tends to be very reasonable on ebay "best offers").

Keep us posted!

Matt

Thanks Matt, the compliment is much appreciated. I use a CNC router to both engrave and cut the panels. It's one of the X-Carve units you have probably seen on youtube. It does a pretty decent job if you take the time to level your cutting area with a skim cut prior to laying down the material and engraving it. Fusion 360 is what I have been using for the CAD/CAM and I can't say enough good about that program.

There are a few reason for me building my own circuit breakers, I couldn't find the sort of deal you linked too on Ebay when I looked, I wasn't sure how the CB worked as far as being able to hook it up to an IO board or not and I just got a 3D printer and was keen to test it out building something. With the Dodosim Jetranger model that I will be using with this simulator, there are a few CB that actually function and are used during the startup and shutdown of the turbine, I needed at least two functioning CB's for this, the rest of them will be dummies that should take far less time to build. I have changed the overhead panel slightly to include a Pause CB and may add some additional functions as time goes by. Thanks for looking.

Shawn

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hello Shawn

Compliments on your build project, it looks very professional, and also great for a space saving environment. How are you building the helicopter skids, real or fabricated yourself?
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

150+ Forum Groupie

Cool stuff Shawn, I had not heard of the X-Carve. It looks very promising, and the price is surprisingly reasonable. I am considering moving to a larger place with a bigger shop, and one of the things I want to add to my tooling is some sort of CNC solution (as well as a good lathe).

FYI in case you ever decide to try them, real CBs can be treated exactly like standard toggle switches. There are two terminals, they are normally connected unless you pull the CB. The only difference with a CB is that running enough current through it will cause it to pop (not a concern if you are only using it to control a signal to a logic board).

Matt

Thanks Guys, if I'm honest with myself I probably wont build the skid gear, I added it to the model to have a look but it would take up a lot of additional space. If I do build them I would build them myself. I have a tube bender and a few welders lying around the shop so it would be pretty straight forward.

@Matt, its hard for me to recommend the X-carve as its a little flimsy on its own in the 1000mm X1000M table size that I bought. There are a number of mods you can do, I inserted a steel plate the full length of the X axis and now that's quite stiff, the Y axis will need some work next. The fact that it doesn't run Mach 3 would be my biggest complaint, I knew that going in so I can't really complain about it but the available software is either insufficient or complicated to run. The smaller X-Carve is apparently much stiffer but then it's half the cutting size. I am going to start saving my pennies and one day will buy something like one of the Probotix CNC routers. I'll change my mind on not recommending the X-carve, if your willing to make a few mods and work with the software its a decent machine for the price and it certainly has allowed a lot of people who normally couldn't afford it to get into the world of CNC.

Thanks for the tip on the CB's Matt, I figured they might act like a switch but good to know. I'll be creating an Ebay search and hopefully can find some at a good price.

Cheer
    Shawn

Here is the radio I built, just have to wire the encoders up and finish a couple more knobs.

9. Likes iwik liked this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Nice work Shawn, keep it up. Yes re the X-Carve, the trouble with all of them is you only get what you pay for them.
    I built one from a kit but ended up completely rebuilding the Z axis as what was supplied was utter C***.
    Keep the pics coming, your engraving with the cNC looks great to me.
    Les

150+ Forum Groupie

Wow, that is a gorgeous radio panel, nice work! Which screen did you end up using? I'm using a Playstation 1 portable LCD for my old weather radar, but now have a real CRT for my Sabreliner's radar (just gotta build it, and add some features to my software).

Matt

Thanks Matt, the screen is one of the generic 7" screens from eBay. I bought it to run a weather radar initially and then started building the jetranger and decided a radio was going to be more useful. I still want to build a weather radar, just got to find the software again. What software are you using for your weather radar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast