10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A Newbie Builder with Controls Layout Question

Hi, I'm Dave and I'm from Putnam Valley, NY. I just started getting more serious about simming with FSX. I'm really hooked on the Saitek products and am working on building a cockpit that works for me and my equipment most efficiently.

I have the four panels: BIP, Multi, Switch and Radio. I don't want to stack them 4-high next to my yoke because I'm afraid it will get too tall. I've seen some setups that put the switch panel below the yoke. I have trepidations about this since it seems that it would be hard to see and mange the switches, but it would solve my space issues. Another option would be to move my throttle more to the right or lower and put the switch panel under the other three panels. This may put my throttle too far from the yoke.

Does anyone have any advice or strong opinions about this? Id like to have it all settled before I start cutting wood for real.

Thanks!

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: A Newbie Builder with Controls Layout Question

Depends on how "real" you want it to be....I've flown plenty of real aircraft that had important controls

under/behind the yoke or in other hard-to-reach places.

10+ Posting Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've decided to stack the 4 panels, with the switch panel down below table height. I've laid it out in Maya first so I can visualize it. Here's an image.

thanks, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

That'll work! You might throw together some sort of "mock up" before committing to this design....I think you may find having the throttle quadrant that far to your right is an inconvenience. I'd put it closer to the pilot, and stick that switch panel under the yoke. Keyboard could go off to either side.

OTOH, if you are a particularly long-armed fellow, it might be perfect as-is.

Matt