Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Lightbulb Suggestions for next steps Boeing 737 cockpit... :)

Hi all guys,

After about 2 months of hard work on MDF I've finally (almost) completed my cockpit!

After reading and studying a lot i've bought the following components for the project:
    1. Flight Simulator software (FSX) with default Boeing 737
    2. Pokeys 57E to control switches and leds
    3. FSSymphony to interface Pokeys with FSX
    4. FSUIPC FREE
    5. PC based on Intel i7 CPU, 256GB SSD HDD, GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card with 4 video out and 8GB RAM
    6. MCP V2 from Opencockpits working with SIOC
    7. EFIS from Opencockpits working with SIOC
    8. Saitek Cloche & Throttle
    9. Saitek Radio Panel
    10. 40" Samsung DVI LCD

The basic functionalities are working (gear leds and lever, flaps transition leds and DIY gauge using a servo, few other leds...).
    I've now moved the display from the default FSX 737 but, you know, are not so beautifull

Now the question... what's the next step?
    I'm confused to plan the next configuration... here are some ideas that I want to share with you for suggestions:

1. Start building an FMC from Opencockpit and a PSone 5" display, but the default FSX 737 does not manage this component and then I cannot use it with the actual configuration
    2. Change plane with a PMDG 737 to make it more realistic, but the FSSymphony is not compatible with it
    The last version of this SW allows me to add custom offset. I tried to add one to check if works but I cannot read anything from FSUIPC monitor (it shows only a "zero" value).
    3. Buy Prosim737 to have a new plane and a management SW that recognize by default the Pokeys.... what else?... but the price is REAAAAALLY high for me! And above all... will I use it at 100%? I will never have space enough for an overhead or a pedestal... I have 2mq room!!!

Anything else??? What's your suggestions???? Please drive me to the right way

In attachment my little boy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Suggestions for next steps Boeing 737 cockpit... :)

Bottom line, if you are looking for a level of realism that made you buy an MCP and an EFIS as opposed to a Saitek Panel to handle the autopilot, then you have to make some decisions. If prosim737 is out of your budget then your only real alternative is iFly or PMDG with FSUIPC. With PMDG you also save the cost of an FMC as you can use the software one included.

I suggest you swap over to PMDG and see how much effort you really want in your sim, while you learn how to fly the 737 correctly. Then, if you decide you really need the realism of actual panels and an FMC you will be able to better set your priorities. You can never go wrong regardless, if you own a copy of the NGX. I have a full sim running Prosim and I still fly my NGX on my laptop when away from home.

150+ Forum Groupie

I recommend you purchase the licensed version of FSUIPC. It will allow more options, and really... I dont know if it's possible to build a decent cockpit without it. if you already have the PMDG 737, I would follow Warrens advice and learn the 737 to get a feel for your future needs. The PMDG 737 is great software to learn to fly the 737 but it's not designed for cockpit building. I know..because I tried I love the PMDG 737.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdyguy View Post
    I recommend you purchase the licensed version of FSUIPC. It will allow more options, and really... I dont know if it's possible to build a decent cockpit without it. if you already have the PMDG 737, I would follow Warrens advice and learn the 737 to get a feel for your future needs. The PMDG 737 is great software to learn to fly the 737 but it's not designed for cockpit building. I know..because I tried I love the PMDG 737.
    I have the PMDG737 and for me is really good to move with it to the next step but the main problem is that all leds and switches will no more work.
    FSSymphony 2.0 has an Expert mode to configure new offset but i did not suceed in configuring it (i also read that PMDG offset are read only.... )

Please help me

What about licensed version of FSUIPC? I cannot find a "capability matrix" in order to read which are the feature i can use to improve my cockpit?

Really many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
    M.

150+ Forum Groupie

the registered version of FSUIPC will allow you to work with offsets, assign them to buttons, switches, manipulate axis for levers/potentiometers. It will allow you to find hotspots with mouse clicks that you can assign to buttons and or switches in the PMDG. The list of functions it allows a user to do is quite large.

Read the documentation that comes with FSUIPC to find out more of it's capabilities. Look for the document files in the FSX Modules Folder. You should find the FSUIPC Documents Folder in the same Folder you installed FSX. There's too much to explain it all in a Forum post, so have a good read and then come back with the bits you dont understand.

I can assure you that purchasing the license for FSUIPC will be one of your most valuable investments if you plan on cockpit building.

25+ Posting Member

the registered version of FSUIPC will allow you to work with offsets, assign them to buttons, switches, manipulate axis for levers/potentiometers. It will allow you to find hotspots with mouse clicks that you can assign to buttons and or switches in the PMDG. The list of functions it allows a user to do is quite large.

Read the documentation that comes with FSUIPC to find out more of it's capabilities. Look for the document files in the FSX Modules Folder. You should find the FSUIPC Documents Folder in the same Folder you installed FSX. There's too much to explain it all in a Forum post, so have a good read and then come back with the bits you dont understand.

I can assure you that purchasing the license for FSUIPC will be one of your most valuable investments if you plan on cockpit building.
    Just bought FSUIPC4... waiting for serial on the mail and asking you to help me

25+ Posting Member

Serial number "arrived" (it was on SimMarket)... what now?

How can I map Pokeys57E I/O to FSUIPC and PMDG 737 offset?

Regards,
    M.

150+ Forum Groupie

Run FSX, on the top menu far right..look for Addons. Open that and click on FSUIPC. That should open a box with lots of Tab Options. This is where you map your buttons , switches and axis. Read the docs for more detailed information on mapping. With the PMDG you will also want to read up on mapping hotspots with a mousclick.

25+ Posting Member

Run FSX, on the top menu far right..look for Addons. Open that and click on FSUIPC. That should open a box with lots of Tab Options. This is where you map your buttons , switches and axis. Read the docs for more detailed information on mapping. With the PMDG you will also want to read up on mapping hotspots with a mousclick.
    Hi birdguy, i've done exactly what you wrote, but the main problem is that the Pokeys57E is not an HID device and than it is not seen as a joystick.

Actually I manage switches, servo and leds with it usinf FSSymphony.

Basically, how can i turn on a led or make a switch to work with FSUIPC, PMDG and the Pokeys57E?
    http://www.flying-the-winglets.de/Do...ymphony200.pdf

Actually everythng works fine with the default 737...

Kind regards,
    M.

25+ Posting Member

I do not have any experience with PMDG. However I think it should be possible with FSSymphony to read the PMDG offsets as listed in the documents to FSUIPC.

Have enabled the PMDG broadcasting?

To enable the data communication output from the PMDG aircraft, you will need to open the file
    737NGX_Options.ini (located in the FSX folder PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX, and add the following lines
    to the end of the file:
    [SDK]
    EnableDataBroadcast=1

Best regards,
    Ruediger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast