150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Beginner's Questions

Dear all,

after decades of Flightsim absence (worked, gave life to a child, entertained wife and family) I am back airborn. Now it's time to do it right and build a home cockpit. For getting back into the flight simmers world I enjoyed the Aerosoft A320/321 so far. I even created a little prototype pedestal with some buttons and switches via Mobiflight. But during the last months of investigation for my cockpit plans, I pretty soon found out, I need something else. So Jeehell is my choice.

Would be great, if you pls help me with these beginner's questions:

1) Hardware requirements: I plan to start with 2 or 3 PC's. Besides the powerful main FS computer, what are the necessities for the satellite PC's? Especially in concern of the monitors and required RAM (plan to buy some old XP computers). I expect to extend pc's and monitors step by step.

2) Did I get it right, that I can still use my saitek and thrustmaster eqipment? And could I also use my selfmade Mobiflight panels, if I reconfigure them to Jeehell?

3) last and most stupid question: do I have to install the aircraft model from the jeehell page and then select it in the airplane selection in FSX? Or do Ia have to use the FSX standard Airbus?

Thanks very much!

Michael

25+ Posting Member

Re: Beginner's Questions

Hi Michael,

great you're back into flying .

1) You will need 3 Monitors for the MIP. This shouldn't be one computer on it's own, split it into two computers. A lot of graphics power is needed to display the instruments with nice anti aliasing. One computer should do Captain Side and ECAMs, the other one the F/O Side. #2 could later also do the MCDUs.
    Always buy graphics cards that can handle three monitors at a time, because some may have a lot of ports but can only use two of them simultaniously (depends on clocking of DVI ports)...
    The display computers don't need a lot of RAM, only a medium CPU but a good graphics card.
    Add one more additional computer with a lot of RAM and a good CPU for hardware management if you tend to buy professional hardware, i.e. Skalarki.

2) Correct.

3) JeeHell will install a flight model, which has to be selected in the FS.

Regards,
    Martin

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks for the great tipps!

So I believe, I will start with a second PC just for Captain Side and ECAMs in the first step and add F/O Side and MCDU's later.

Could you give me some more precise hardware "minimums" for these display PC's and the corresponding graphic card? Maybe you can recommend one with good value for money? Same would be great for the hardware mgmnt computer!

My FSX computer is an i5-4690k @3,5ghz (not overclocked yet), 8 GB RAM + GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphic card. Enough on that side, if I follow your tipps for all the other?

Thanks!

Michael

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

I am using an ASUS nvidia 720 which I bought for 70 AUD to run the avionics side 3 LCDs and one mcdu screen. Works fine with no lag.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Hi Michael, i have a single seat HC (cpt side) with a single pc at moment

My pc configuration is :

1. i7 960 processor
    2. 12 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
    3. 2 Video Cards : GTX660 and GTX460
    4. 4 Monitors

I use the GTX660 to display the sim with an HDMI link to a 42" TV plus a VGA(DVI to VGA connector) to display MCDU (Skalarki).
    I plugged mip monitors to the GTX460 with VGA (dvi to vga connector).

This configuration works well . I also plan to switch in a dual pc configuration, but for the start you can think to do like me
    P3D V5 HF1 - PC spec: Intel i5-6600K, 16 GB DDR4 2400, GPU Nvidia GTX1070ti, M2 SSD NVme, JH FMGS, GSX, ASP3D+ASCA+ENVSHADE

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Asessa,

good to see, it's also working on a single base rig. I do not have such a strong CPU though... I do like your TV solution, as I just have a TV available. IS VGA sharp enough? My TV does have HDMI Inputs, but is no HD TV. But maybe I should give it a try.

cheers,
    Michael

Yes you can try with a vga television
    P3D V5 HF1 - PC spec: Intel i5-6600K, 16 GB DDR4 2400, GPU Nvidia GTX1070ti, M2 SSD NVme, JH FMGS, GSX, ASP3D+ASCA+ENVSHADE