Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Looking for a partner to build a set of Bendix King radio/nav equipment

Hello everyone

I have been wanting to build a set of early Bendix King radio's for my simulator and after my recent success building a general radio panel that interfaced with FSX via Link2FS and an Arduino I'm ready to start designing the Bendix King panels.

My problem is that I am weak (understatement) on the programming/electronics side and I think that interfacing the seven, 5 digit 7 segment displays will have to be done using a shift register and that is well beyond my technical ability. I do however have access to the actual instruments to take measurements etc and my 3D modelling skills are good enough to develop a set of plans to work from and I do have a CNC mill to cut the faceplates. I was planning to use cream coloured lexan painted black prior to engraving. I have had good success with this technique in the past and I think I can produce some reasonably good looking faceplates.

If someone was willing to help with the electronics and programming I would be happy to cut an extra set of face plates, knobs etc.

Here is what I would like to replicate.

And an example of the CAD model I am working on

I am busy with work for the next few months so I don't plan on getting much done outside of the CAD/CAM work for each faceplate. Cutting the face plates etc won't take long once I get to it though, so I would be hoping to have this project completed October/November of this year. As you can see I'm pretty easy with the time frame. My one request would be that the arduino code and 3D CAD/Cam files be open source when were done and uploaded to Mycockpit.

If your interested and have the skills required I would love to hear from you here in the forum.

Cheers
    Shawn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Looking for a partner to build a set of Bendix King radio/nav equipment

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi there seems we might be a good match as I have lots of experience on the electronic side of things and none on the mechanical side. I have got working NAV/COMM electronics (display, knobs, etc.) on a breadboard however lack the skill to actually put this together into an unit. I used an arduino, dual rotary encoder for knobs, and buttons linked through a wireless connection (no wires strung around everywhere!) on my pc to link2fs. So I'd be willing to team up.

Sounds good Huskerwr38, I'm busy with work but still have found a bit of time to work on the various panels in CAD. The idea of making it wireless sounds like a great idea. I will try and get one of the cad models finished so we can start sorting out what we need as far as standoffs and sub plates to hold whatever needs holding I'm just about to order a new CNC router so I won't be limited to the low RPM and table size of my CNC milling machine. As long as your not in a rush I'm happy to team up and build this together.

Shawn

I'm in no hurry either so take your time. I'm in early prototyping stage with developing a pcb for the nav/com radio. I'll probably need a footprint so I know where to lay the components, how big to make the pcb, etc.

I should be able to get you a basic set of plans next week to work from. I was thinking I might cut the faceplate from a single piece leaving all the individual instruments connected instead of building multiple stand alone instruments. I can add holes for standoffs across the back wherever required and we can have as many layers as required. I have a large sheet of engraving plastic so the faceplate could be cut from that and screwed to a Lexan backing plate that holds the switches, 7 segment displays, standoffs etc? Let me know what you think. I have the larger X-Carve CNC router on order and should have it in the shop by the middle of September.

If anyone else is interested in getting onboard with this project the more the merrier, cutting a few extra panels won't be much extra work once the CAD files are done.

Shawn

I was hoping for individual avionics because at some point I want to add a GPS like a GNS530. Hope making individual ones isn't much more work. Also what Bendix/King radios are you making? I already have designed bezels for these Bendix/King radios but really don't have a good way of making them unless I get them 3D printed, KX155A, KN62A, KFC225, KMA28, KR87, KT76C.

Individual instruments won't be an issue and I'm fine going that route. i work in a TC 690 during the summer and the bending king radios, transponder, etc are very old heads. I wanted to build the same package and layout to what's in the actual plane

Hey Husker, I haven't forgot about this project. My new Cnc router is set up and running well, I'm just waiting on a custom collet so I can hold 1/8th" bits in the router for engraving. I would be happy to cut the panels you already have designed as long as we can share the code etc, a guy can never have too many radios

i did did manage to cut the main instrument panel for my Jetranger build on the Cnc router and so far it appears to do some decent and accurate work.

Hopefully this weekend I can cut a few faceplates and we can sort out what information/changes/modifications we need to make so each of our work fits together.

Cheers
    Shawn

Looks pretty good! I have been really busy this summer but still interested in working with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast