75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Background Lighting - question and ideas

I am current working also on a concept to have my overhead a backlight installed.
    I us the Opencockpits Overhead on a self built wooden structure. The LED indicator boxes are those from 2009, they were white, so a "normal" white LED placed behind the panel will shine through the box and the yellow LEDs and therefore will illuminate the indicator. Not good...

So I thought of those LED Strips. My Idea is to cur them into small 3 strip LED peaces and rewire them and fix them only over the engraved items of the panels.
    Has anyone worked with those strips? Can you solder them after cutting or is there no chance of connecting them together again.

The other idea would the normal white square LEDs, which can be fixed and covered with a black tape to only let light through the engraved parts, but therefore I would need also a resistor for the LEDs, which means a lot of soldering...

Thanks a lot for you knowledge,
    Markus
    best regards, Markus
    Boeing 737NG Home Cockpit: https://737cockpit.info

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Background Lighting - question and ideas

Quote Originally Posted by markusr View Post
    I am current working also on a concept to have my overhead a backlight installed.
    I us the Opencockpits Overhead on a self built wooden structure. The LED indicator boxes are those from 2009, they were white, so a "normal" white LED placed behind the panel will shine through the box and the yellow LEDs and therefore will illuminate the indicator. Not good...

So I thought of those LED Strips. My Idea is to cur them into small 3 strip LED peaces and rewire them and fix them only over the engraved items of the panels.
    Has anyone worked with those strips? Can you solder them after cutting or is there no chance of connecting them together again.

The other idea would the normal white square LEDs, which can be fixed and covered with a black tape to only let light through the engraved parts, but therefore I would need also a resistor for the LEDs, which means a lot of soldering...

Thanks a lot for you knowledge,
    Markus
    Hi Markus

i did it behind my overhead with one large panel ,could be wood or stiff cardboard then, I just applied the sticky back led strip around the full area of the panel
    works a treat
    regards
    dave

75+ Posting Member

Hello Dave, Do you maybe have a picture from that?Thanks a lotMarkus
    best regards, Markus
    Boeing 737NG Home Cockpit: https://737cockpit.info

500+ This must be a daytime job

300+ Forum Addict

The strips work a treat, they are easy to solder and when you do a search on ebay, dirt cheap.
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X - Intel i7 4790K@4,6 GHz - GSkill TridentX F3-2400C9D-8GTXD - 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Seagate SSHD 2TB - Asus GTX780 DC2 OC 3GD5 - Windows 10 Professional 64