Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question re the Link2FS MultiRadio Project

First off mnay thanks to Jim for the Link2FS program. The program is great and a real boon to those of us fairly new to the world of Arduinos.

I have been working on putting together the Multi-radio project on Jim's page and am encountering a strange problem that I am wondering if anyone else here has encountered.

I have the circuit up and running on my breadboard and all seems to be working correctly. However, every so often the program "seizes" and will not accept input from the board.

In looking at the monitor, this appears to happen after the program sends a data string to the board for display. Unless I send an input within a short period after the string is sent to the board, the program will not accept any inputs from the board until the string is refreshed.

I can kind of get around this issue by setting the refresh time in link2fs to a very short period (like .5 seconds), but this sometimes results in some strange data being displayed on the LCD screen.

Has anyone here encountered a similar problem? If so how did you deal with it.

Thanks,

Jim

75+ Posting Member

Re: Question re the Link2FS MultiRadio Project

most likely you are not processing the incoming string properly, and your board is still "waiting for a key" that is never getting there, so nothing happens until more data is sent.

See, the way the examples are made, the board is blocking until processing properly all its data, and if you don't put the correct data size in one line of code, it could wait there forever.

I'd say you have a problem with the number of characters on one of your information string coming from Link2FS to your board.

Re: Question re the Link2FS MultiRadio Project

SimSupervisor,

Thanks for your comment, the string length was the problem and I was able to solve it by increasing the size of the serial buffer in the Arduino.

If you look on Jim's page, he mentions this problem when a new version of the IDE code was released. However, he mentions the the declarations for the serial buffer size are in :

Main Arduino dir/Hardware/Arduino/Cores/Arduino and find the file HardwareSerial.cpp.

In my version, they are in HardwareSerial.H

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.H

if you open this file, SERIAL_TX_BUFFER_SIZE and SERIAL_RX_BUFFER_SIZE are defined as 16 and 64, respectively.

I changed them to 64 and 256, per Jim's page and this solved the problem.

Thanks again for your help!