Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

LINK2FS and Active Sky Next

Hello all. (for TL;DR, issue is detailed between the *'s below) First let me thank those who frequently post to this forum. I built a 737 MCP a few months ago and it was only through the help of those who posted before me on this forum, and Jim of course for developing link2fs, that I was able to successfully complete it. I will -eventually- post my experience building it and include the code for those that could find it useful. If anyone is working on a project now and could use the help I'd be motivated to hurry my post... I digress.

Everything had been working fine until I installed the recent release of Active Sky Next (SP2 build 5589). This is my first purchase of ASN so I'm not sure if this issue would have been around in previous versions.

When ASN is running, link2fs doesn't receive comms from FSX. I can still send commands to FSX from the MCP via link2fs, but LED status lights aren't reflected on the MCP. If I then run FSX without ASN, the MCP works fine. I've tried to start the programs in various sequences, but no luck. The only other programs I use are ezdok camera and linda with the PMDG 737, but those programs do not seem to have any impact on link2fs.

Anyone else have similar issues or know of a work around? I did not find any relief in the ASN manual, as it only references other weather programs when discussing 3rd party software.

Thanks in advance!

Re: LINK2FS and Active Sky Next

Are you running ASN on the same pc as FSX or on a separate pc? At present I run ASN on a second pc with Link2FS running back on the FSX pc. No problems at all. Actually as I type this I am realizing that on my prior rig I ran ASN on the same pc as Link2FS and FSX and likewise not problems.

When ASN is running and Link2FS isn't workiing does Link2FS resume normal function as soon as you shut down ASN or do you need to restart everything?
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    Are you running ASN on the same pc as FSX or on a separate pc? At present I run ASN on a second pc with Link2FS running back on the FSX pc. No problems at all. Actually as I type this I am realizing that on my prior rig I ran ASN on the same pc as Link2FS and FSX and likewise not problems.

When ASN is running and Link2FS isn't workiing does Link2FS resume normal function as soon as you shut down ASN or do you need to restart everything?
    Tom, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, I run ASN, link2fs, and fsx on the same pc. Link2FS does not resume normal functions after I shut down ASN. I have had to restart all software.

Last night after posting I was able to get it to work though I'm not sure exactly what I did differently. I think I restarted Link2FS after my flight was loaded. I was going to give it another try tonight and see if I could replicate the results. If so, I'll post my resolution.

Thanks again!

Confirmed. If I just wait a few minutes after I start the flight I can start link2fs and there are no issues with ASN. I know I had issues previously if I started link2fs too soon, but not sure why. I've just sequenced starting link2fs in my checklist to prior to FMC initialization and that seems to be adequate.