Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Problem with Vertical Speed Set

Hello all

I am having an issue using Link2fs with FSX and a Arduino Nano. I have setup a 16x2 LCD display and I am using the Multi_LCD_Simple_demo sketch that comes with Link2fs. I have the LCD working and it shows Test on the screen. I start FSX and use the Cessna C172SP as a test plane to make sure all is working. Once I get at an airport and start the I click on the connect Card 1 using the correct serial port of the Nano. Once I do this the VS changes to +9900 even before I tell it to display the info on the LCD. If I select =c the lcd display Vsp +9900. I can select altitude (=b) and heading (=d) and they show correctly (what FSX shows). If I try and select a lower FPS in FSX, it will go back to 9900. If I use the SimConnect Input B21xxxx and put in a lower value, say 500, it will go to that setting and then go back to 9900.

I am not sure what is going on or what could be changing this setting. I have looked in the example sketch and found no reference to 9900 anywhere in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

James

Re: Problem with Vertical Speed Set

Hi,

Did you manage to solve this problem?
    Iīm having the same issue and solved it of sorts: For the VSset, FSX or Link2FS expects you to use a rotary. In other words if you set up a rotary the same way you would set it up for ALTset it will work fine.
    Your issue only occurs when one tries to set the VSset+/- with 2 buttons and since you only use one button at a time, thatīs where the problem comes from. In a rotary thereīs always a binary value on both sides depending on the type of rotary used. To work around it you would have to emulate a rotary through a button... which is easier said than done.
    For now, I have solved it of sorts but Iīm not a programmer. Without a doubt someone with better programming skills could do a better job. If interested, let me know.

Fairfax

Post code
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

BuzziBi,

I've chosen to fix this by using 1 rotary encoder for ALTset and VSset. A on-off-on switch between GND and pins x and y is used to switch between the 2 modes. This works very well and without a delay.

excerpt code for the rotary:

long X4 = (quad4.position());
    if (X4 != Xold4 && digitalRead (Switch10) == LOW){
    if (X4 > Xold4) {Serial.println("B11");} //incr ALT setting
    if (X4 < Xold4) {Serial.println("B12");} //decr ALT setting
    Xold4 = X4;
    } //end of alt set

if (X4 != Xold4 && digitalRead (Switch11) == LOW){
    if (X4 > Xold4) {Serial.println("B13");} //incr VS setting
    if (X4 < Xold4) {Serial.println("B14");} //decr VS setting
    Xold4 = X4;
    } //end of vs set

In my search for a solution, I first tried to set the VS with 2 buttons but I had the same issue as jltucker had in the above post.
    Through some experimentation, I ended up with this next solution which works but is relatively slow because of the long delay.
    Lowering the delay only increases the VSset per pulse from the button. E.g. a delay of 700 gives a 200 ft/min increase or decrease, etc.
    By far the best way to go is to use a separate rotary or combine it with the ALTset rotary as explained above:

excerpt code for this īsolutionī:

debouncer10.update();
    int value10 = debouncer10.read();
    if ( value10 == HIGH ) {Serial.println ("B13"); delay(1000); (value10 == LOW);}

debouncer11.update();
    int value11 = debouncer11.read();
    if ( value11 == HIGH ) {Serial.println ("B14"); delay(1000); (value11 == LOW);}

Fairfax