Thread: GPS confusion

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GPS confusion

Good evening,

As the thread title suggests I am a little confused. I am looking at building a cockpit based loosely around a bonanza cockpit. I was thinking of using FsxPand software for the gauges and the radio panel which will be done from a second PC over the network I have attached a picture of a cardboard representation of what I would like to accomplish. All the measurements are fairly accurate. My plan was to use two monitors behind the panel. As I have been researching what is possible and what is not, I can not find any information about a gps (something like xpreality gns530) being run from a networked pc. With most sim builds utilising more than one PC I am surprised if this is the case. Can anyone add to this. Can it be done? Is there a work around?

Many thanks
    Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: GPS confusion

Why don't you use the standard MSFS GPS (If you are using MS Flight Sim instead of xplane, p3d etc) you can undock it and move it to where you like behind your own bezel. It will then look like a GPS.

You can of course also buy the plug and play GPS units.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the reply Geremy. I did not think that I would be able to do that because my monitors behind the panel would be running from a networked FSXPand Client PC and the GPS running from FSX has to be dragged onto a monitor connected to the FSX PC.

I could consider the plug & Play option. I am also thinking of looking at the Flight1's GTN750 as that has nav/comm, audio panel and transponder facilities meaning that I would not need them as separate units. I am therefore playing around at the moment with reconfiguring my panel layout.

Many thanks
    Marc

I find it quite odd as well that there are very few options for networked GPS software. The only one that I am aware of is the Simplugins GPS unit. I love the Simplugins software but have to admit the GPS unit doesn't really have all the functions one would want in GPS, they are working on it and it has seen some great improvements however.

The RealityXP software is my GPS of choice but you do have to run it on a separate monitor from the same PC as your running FSX.

10+ Posting Member

Having had a few days to consider the options, I have decided to reconfigure my panel. I am going to move my radio stack over to the right hand side of the panel and in the place of the GNS530 I have decided to use a 7" touchscreen monitor and use Flight 1's GTN750 which will run of the FSX PC. The GTN 750 has transponder function so will save me space on my radio stack.

I have cut the actual sizes out of card and it all fits.....just.