Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Delco Carousel IV-A INS CDU/MSU

> I have the MSU reverse engineered - switches, lamps and wires, easy as you say.

Are you willing to share the info you retrieved? Which pin connects what? It would be extremely useful!

> On my MSU the Bat/Nav lights are accessible from the front.

By unscrewing the transparent red and green plastic "covers"?
    I fear I could damage them...

> Only replacing a backlight bulb requires disassembling the front panel.
    Did you managed to detach the mode selector knob?

Question: Did you try to light up the bulbs? How many Volts? And...AC or DC? Do you think they could be powered up from an Arduino?

> My actual plan is to reverse trace connections from switches and seven segment displays to motherboard, then design
    > new PCBs to drive all from the mobo connectors. Jackpilot said to have some diagrams, but seems dormant at this
    > time.

Interesting! But are you planning to power bulbs with a separate power supply?
    I was also looking into the possibility to take out the "primitive" 7 segment displays and substitute them with real 7 segment displays but there are problems with commas/apostrophe and the right hand N/S and E/W "icons"...

NOTE: I don't know if we are actually abusing of this forum. If so I'd have no problem creating a new "Hardware" forum on Simufly.com. Please (admin?) let us know!

A bulb is agnostic to AC / DC, either will do. Nowaydays a DC voltage is convenient with switch mode power supplies. IIRC the Bat/Ready bulbs are 12 V at least. Test by slowly increasing a power supply measuring Volts and Amps. Backlighting is 5V for sure.

Yeah, you unscrew the red and green plastic covers. The knob came lose by using a Inbus/Hex allen wrench. Many of these screws are multispline, successfully destroyed by people inserting inappropriate Inbus/Hex allen. In that case your only resort is careful drilling out.

The seven seg displays are not multiplexed, I guess each bulb to oprate at 4 - 5 V 20 mA. Yeah, you need a real 2 A power supply here.
    Siempre chevere!

Hello Jörg,

so, from what I understood, you are willing to retain all the bulbs (those simulating the 7 segment displays).
    What about if a bulb breaks, how do you fix it?

My plans are to substitute everything (all bulbs) with LEDs and/or real 7-segment displays.
    If possible, of course
    I want (would like) to have everything working at 5V. Big problem will be to put LEDs inside illuminated CDU keys...

Questions for you:

a) Are you going to use it with MSFS or xPlane?
    b) What are you planning to put inside to drive everything? RPi? Arduino? Custom electronics?

Thank you,
    Marco

Jörg,

here (http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a264521.pdf) there are some (very few) details about CIVA INS electrical supply. Hope this helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12