Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help on Windows 7 and Link2FSX

Hello all; I hope a Windoze guru can help here - I have FSX (have had a while) and discovered Jims' Link2FS program about a year ago. It worked flawlessly for quite a while. Great piece of work here. Simple, yet elegant, without a necessity to know programming or XML or the like. Well about 10 months have passed, and I finally got some panels and switches I was waiting to get about a month ago. Awesome, I can get started on MY cockpit panel. Well, now, several M$ Windows updates later (seems like there is one every week aside from the usually 'never used' MSDelicious Software Removal Tools) and Link2FS does not work anymore. I get the highly informational Windows 7 dialog box during initial launch: "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program." - thats it - said and done. Yo, Bill, I need more information as to WHY you think the program has a problem and why it should stop working. It doesn't even get to the main screen - this is still displaying the "jimspage.co.nz" splash screen. I'm reasonably certain it's a problem within Winblows 7 because I tried rolling back "updates" but as usual M$ has screwed that up as some updates are "not" reversable - Thanks again Bill. I have another laptop that has Win7 and it's last update was 04/30/15 and both FS9 and FSX Link2FS works just fine (I tend to turn off Windoze updates since I have net servers and firewalls running elsewhere on this local net however I failed to turn off automatic updates on this machine until way after 04/30/15. I also tried removing any added software since the last time it ran. No luck. I'm hoping some one here could throw me a bone as to where to look in Win7 or what could this. Just FYI, I tried
    turn off UAC
    rolling back updates
    taking ownership of files
    giving back ownership of files
    run as admin
    compatability mode (XP, Vista, etc.)
    turning off DEP (not possible in x64 apps)
    removing installed PGMS since 04/30/15
    (tried) to update .NET framework (again x64 already has to 4.5)
    Downloaded Link2FS again
    running in Safe Boot mode
    using msconfig to reduce boot files to bare minumum

Nothing changes - always same screen

TIA, 73's de Howard W1ARQ
    Last edited by hwrdmltn; 07-26-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Update "tried" list

Re: Help on Windows 7 and Link2FSX

Try download a new copy of Link2fs, in case some of the files in Link2fs is corrupted.
    I have a laptop with Win7 and Link2fs Multi FSX v6f, for testing and coding, and this laptop has received all updates from MS.
    No problems for me. Thank (who ever will listen)
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

Thanks for the reply BuzziBi, but had also tried that too. Sorry I didn't mention it before.
    I also know that installing and then uninstalling programs leaves "leftovers" (for what ever reason developers can't seem to remove EVERYTHING they put in your system during an install - always wondered why??!!). So consequently there are probably tons of stuff that still gets loaded during boot. Especially in .dll files. In any event, Jims program doesn't "hook" into anything - except FSX's SimConnect.
    I hate to resort to a "repair" install because it is more destructive than the previous XP days and Win7 is fussy about having the original install DVD, this PC is using a version of Win7 for refurbished pcs (yes, M$ thought of everything, didn't they?) and I have not the DVD (refurb company has it and it's not available for public).

Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

Here is a resolution update to this issue:
    It appears that you MUST have all Win7 Media Features turned on and all XPS services and viewer turned on in Windows 7 Features or some programs (not all) that use .NET may have issues. I usually turn these off after installing Win7 to conserve resources (and I use VLC for media play anyway), I found this on pure accident - nowhere in M$ docs (in laymans terms) do they tell you that some functions of .NET are dependent on Windows Media Features so disabling this and XPS services and viewer will also render some .NET apps unusable - good going Bill! Why not inform users that removing something that .NET depends on ends up breaking .NET? HELLLLLLOOOOO, ANYONE HOME up there in Seattle?

So I'm a happy camper again.....thanks to all those that tried to help out.