Tesla 3D

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thumbs up New Member looking on how to sell full enclosed Collimated cockpit simulator designed by Disney / Military

Hello, I have a lot of hobbies over the years that include early development of simulator, command control systems, gaming, J class instrumented rocketry, UAV component development, and more. One of my experiences was owning a dozen networked virtual reality cockpit simulators as an arcade.

One of my interest include networked virtual reality cockpit simulators. (See attachments) Just wondering if any enthusiast might be interested in buying one to re-use the beam-splitter and collimated optical systems?

In 1990, Tim Disney created Virtual World Entertainment, INC and opened the first BattleTech emporium in Chicago. Modeled loosely on the U.S. military’s SIMNET system of networked training simulators, BattleTech centres put players in individual “pods,” essentially cockpits that served as immersive, interactive consoles for both narrative and competitive game experiences. All the vehicles represented in the game were controlled by other players, each in his own pod and linked to a high-speed network set up for a simultaneous multiplayer experience. The player’s immersion in the virtual world of the competition resulted from a combination of elements, including a carefully constructed story line, the physical architecture of the arcade space and pod, and the networked virtual environment. The Tesla I simulators were replaced with the advanced Tesla II. Each simulator had a Aienware Server. Only around100 were manufactured. Some have moved overseas, many are in private Home Theater / arcade hands. Only around 50 remain where the public can experience them.

The games are played in fully enclosed cockpits simulators (beam-splitter collimated displays) with multiple (7) screens, joysticks, and rudder pedals. They were featured in Discovery Channel's Beyond 2000. The Tesla II Cockpits sold to independent operators. A group in Houston owns 16 of them. These were outfit with wheels and are taken on the road to conventions. A testimony to the sound construction. A typical Cockpit (also known as a Pod) was designed to conduct over 100 missions a week in public arcades or conventions.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can advertise them, let me know. I have a background in electronics and graduate degree in computer information systems so any subject is interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: New Member looking on how to sell full enclosed Collimated cockpit simulator designed by Disney / Military

Interesting, how much do these beam splitters go for?

I remember reading up on gundam arcade pods a few years ago.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

75+ Posting Member

Re: New Member looking on how to sell full enclosed Collimated cockpit simulator designed by Disney / Military

I used to play at Virtual World in Montréal about twenty years ago!!

Man I would love to get my hand on one of those pods, they were awesome.

Tesla 3D

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/12/...ars-of-flight/
    I was just thinking about the early '80s in August, landing in Sidney. Two Hornet's flew non-stop down under.
    I was super for the sw validation sim in the States. We could either simulate or use any combination of each avionics component.
    Graphics cards were not popular back then. I was able to create and submit a proposal to design and install a 150mhz custom calligraphic mixer to enable the HUD based on mll-std 1553 data and add some actual avionics controls to the sw validation system.
    It made things real enough for the small company to build a custom sim for the Blue Angles.

I had built up many weeks of vacation and they needed me for a few days in Melbourne. So, I did a walk-about using trains and hitch-hiking around the place.

During the era, worked with Canadian pilots to validate custom sw. Will just say that Melbourne in September was warmer than Cold Lake - anytime.

Will get back to your question later today.

75+ Posting Member

These pods ran on 1553?
    I'd be very curious to study their construction.

It's a shame most are no longer in action, I'd really like to play them again.
    You said there were still some publicly available? Where would that be?

Also, the pods you have available, are they still functionnal?

Tesla 3D

The Tesla II Simulators DO NOT run on mil-std-1553. The Tesla II Simulators were long after the early '80s.
    My reference above was to actual military sw validation simulators for the F/A-18 and my trip to Australia decades ago.

Google Mechcorps in Houston

Recent news about a public location, The Airlock in Kirkand, WA closed after years of operations.
    The Airlock last post claims the Tesla II Simulators have new owners with an indication that they are not available to the public. Just a speculation on my part that these Tesla II simulators have joined the trend of private ownership in a private Home Theater / bowling / arcade. I feel most of them are actually "in action" in private locations or they are possibly being re-purposed.

Over time that the Tesla II Simulators have withstood heavy usage including transportation to various sites.

Tesla 3D

Quote Originally Posted by SimSupervisor View Post
    These pods ran on 1553?
    I'd be very curious to study their construction.
    NO! The Tesla II are NOT mil-std-1553. My past thoughts above were in reference to the Hornet sims of the past century.

Quote Originally Posted by SimSupervisor View Post
    It's a shame most are no longer in action, I'd really like to play them again.
    You said there were still some publicly available? Where would that be?
    They are most likely in action. Many seem to transfer out of the pubic into things like private home arcades.(Home Theater / bowling/ arcade).
    Google Mechcops in Houston, Texas. The Tesla II was designed for massive public use (abuse) and they even travel from one convention to another.
    A testament to professional design, construction and durability.

The Airlock in the State of Washington recently closed in 2015. The hints indicate to me that 8 Tesla II found new private owners.

75+ Posting Member

The ones in Montreal, were they Tesla II as well?

Beside houston, are there any other places where these might still be available to the public?

How portable are the pods? Can they pass normal doorway and staircases (with some dissassembly)? and how much do they realistically sell for?

Tesla 3D

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30397
    See the posting of the C-20 mirrors and beam-splitters.
    I called Flight Safety Inc and connected with the original designer (of Glass Mountain) and learned a lot about them.
    The industry has moved to the larger mirrors. Just the mirrors and beamsplitters could be ordered for around $4K to $5K depending on the size of the order. Evidently, they are very durable and can be refinished if abused. Mine are in excellent shape.
    The old "flat-screen" 20" Hi-Res CRT on top can be replaced with newer flat screen tech (e.g. 4K OLED). Perhaps even a 3D?
    One might think a 3D could provide a realistic HUD.
    The height using an LED could come down as one can see.
    They are right at 3.5 feet wide, 7 Feet long and with the old CRT just about 7 feet high. That won't fit into a normal house door.
    However, most business that have the wheelchair regulation glass door with the top removable bar above the door will probably fit.
    A couple of sets have been installed with wheels and are taken to conventions. They are booked solid, very popular.
    Just guessing, at $7 for a 10 minute slot (for a 7 minute pilot time) That would generate around $40 / hr for each one.
    I paid much more for a small flight simulator for me and my son at Wings Over The Rockies museum convention.
    The forward cabinet includes an Alienware Server, some very large DC power supplies (3), and large audio amplifiers for the internal surround sound.