Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Rotary instead Potentiometer for Throttle?

No argument.

but why? You have me scratching my head. It's a no brainer.

Encoders? Again, scratching my head. If you want the ultimate in throttle, spd brake, tiller, ailerons, elevators, rudder, etc etc. , you don't use switches. You use pots, or even better, Halls.

Now ow if that's "condescending" or "rude", so be it. I was of the opinion this website was for sharing of ideas, opinions, and proven methods to help others achieve their goals.

Mitch

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Hello, currently using a Leo Bodnar card to wire in the pots for my airbus project.

Are there any (more affordable) alternative interface boards you can suggest?

Regards.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an IO system that was cheaper and or easier than Leo's boards. Nothing I have run across anyways.

Shawn

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I'm new to simulators but I have come to the same conclusion as Skino for my PMDG… never did like pots... unstable ... can react to temperature and humidity let alone wear & tear….

Encoders can also be magnetic or optical so minimum servicing is required.

Before someone says this……yes .. I did think of optical variable pots…. (photo-resistors) ... I’ve used them many of times in musical instrument and they are inaccurate for this purpose.

Beside, if one wants the full works with active auto-throttle, it makes more sense to have stepper / servo motors with internal encoders so that they serve both purposes at once.

I am not an electronic wizard but I am a racing mechanical engineer and I can use my brain a little, so today I quickly patched up a simple sketch for Arduino in conjunction with link2fs and it seem to work fine and accurately.

Just have to check a small flaw which seems to crash Link2fs after some time, possibly due to the high frequency of polling.

Will work something out where the micro will pause if changes don’t occur.

If anyone has already done so he/she would be very much appreciated for sharing it here thus saving us redesigning from scratch the same or a similar program.

Also if anyone can see any good reason why this should have an adverse effect in the sim, please come out with it, it would be silly not to listen to any good advise.

Regards

PS) As this is an old thread I smight re-post as new in case this topic is still been investigated.
    Last edited by logic28; 03-15-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: errata

300+ Forum Addict

Why don't you try Hall-effect sensors ? Very accurate, no wear at all, no spiking, and you can connect them like a normal potmeter.
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X - Intel i7 4790K@4,6 GHz - GSkill TridentX F3-2400C9D-8GTXD - 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Seagate SSHD 2TB - Asus GTX780 DC2 OC 3GD5 - Windows 10 Professional 64

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hall Eff. sensors ?......very good too but there is no reason to have an unstable variable voltage when the flight sim is counting steps from 0 to 99.
    A variable voltage may (and often does) result in a fluctuating readings and therefore erratic position of the throttle, even if by + - 1 step, ....been there.
    With a detent at least it will tend to remain in the chosen position until otherwise instructed.

No big deal, just a thought... after all there are hall effect encoders too; the idea here was to simplify the design incorporating auto-throttle by having a motor encoder equipped, that does both the moving and the reading in one unit.

Last edited by logic28; 03-16-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12