Thread: Where to start

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Where to start

Hi there,
    I have a small project in mind to enhance my current desktop flight sim.
    will need to interface to psx so i'm aware of psxseecon if I choose opencockpits.
    I'd like to able to have switches for some items I do on entering and leaving the runway.
    All lights Initially would be great Inc strobes beacon.
    may be then as a second phase apu, starter switches, seat belts auto brakes. Cut off switches.
    but let's get something working first!
    Just to add. I'd be happy placing everything on one panel due to available space.
    What would I need to get started with open cockpits? Or any other hardware solution If recommended.
    thanks
    Carl

Re: Where to start

If you already have PSX, then great. If you don't, then bear in mind that it's $400, which is a big investment. If you decide at some point that the 747 wasn't the right choice, then that $400 is down the drain.

I was originally going to build an ATR 72 pit. I bought the Flight1 software for $45, and tried to do work with it. Unfortunately, there was no way at the time to interface with it (though there is a new method now that would work), so I decided to do a different build. Fortunately, only $45 dollars was wasted, and it wasn't really even wasted, as I still fly the ATR and heavily enjoy it and its very in depth systems simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Avro748 View Post
    If you already have PSX, then great. If you don't, then bear in mind that it's $400, which is a big investment. If you decide at some point that the 747 wasn't the right choice, then that $400 is down the drain.

I was originally going to build an ATR 72 pit. I bought the Flight1 software for $45, and tried to do work with it. Unfortunately, there was no way at the time to interface with it (though there is a new method now that would work), so I decided to do a different build. Fortunately, only $45 dollars was wasted, and it wasn't really even wasted, as I still fly the ATR and heavily enjoy it and its very in depth systems simulation.
    Hi .... already have psx and won't be swapping that for the world!
    just really trying to see what I'd need if I went opencockpits or arduino but getting a bit lost and not sure where to begin.
    Thanks
    Carl

PSXseecon's website has quite a few tutorials on how to use Opencockpits Cards and software. I would check them out to get an idea of what you're up against.

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Hi Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by blocks_off View Post
    What would I need to get started with open cockpits? Or any other hardware solution If recommended.
    From Opencockpits you need: 1 USB expansion card, 1 Master Card, 2 Expansion boxes (one for inputs and one for outputs), that's all. And of course the free SIOC software and my free PSXseecon interfacing software. (and some switches of course).

Quote Originally Posted by blocks_off View Post
    ... Or any other hardware solution If recommended.
    If you want to build for PSX, Opencockpits is the way to go because of my PSXseecon software. Interfacing with PSX is done via a TCP/IP based protocol, so not with FSUIPC offsets. To my knowledge there are no other hardware solutions that offer you that, other then more expensive (professional) solutions from companies such as Flight Deck Solutions.

Regards,
    Nico Kaan

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Hi Carl

From Opencockpits you need: 1 USB expansion card, 1 Master Card, 2 Expansion boxes (one for inputs and one for outputs), that's all. And of course the free SIOC software and my free PSXseecon interfacing software. (and some switches of course).

If you want to build for PSX, Opencockpits is the way to go because of my PSXseecon software. Interfacing with PSX is done via a TCP/IP based protocol, so not with FSUIPC offsets. To my knowledge there are no other hardware solutions that offer you that, other then more expensive (professional) solutions from companies such as Flight Deck Solutions.

Regards,
    Nico Kaan
    Thanks Nico