Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

B737 Cockpit Nose Weight??

A buddy of mine has a cockpit section cut off of a real B737. He's had it in storage and we'd like to put it on a trailer. Only problem is, during the initial relocation, he never had it weighed. So we are at a loss of picking out a trailer for it - the smaller the better.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of the weight of a B737 scraped cockpit? It's the typical cut, between cockpit and main cabin door - and the nose cone is missing.

Re: B737 Cockpit Nose Weight??

in case anyone else is curious...approx. 1500lbs

http://www.60sairlineantiques.net/73...%20pg%2022.pdf

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I have one and it weights 1500 kg

we leveraged it with a crane on the central window frame .. That is very resistant

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

From my experience I would agree with circa 1.5 tonnes.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

300+ Forum Addict

It all depends on what's in it yet. I have a B727 cockpit that is 4000lbs (2 tons) and it has everything except the seats. My B737 only weighed 900lbs because it was just the top half, no floor or anything else.

Has the bottom curve been cutoff under the cockpit yet? If not, the height will likely be 10'2" at the very back. If it has been cut, you can expect the height to be somewhere between 7-8'.

You will need a car or equipment dual axle trailer, that will handle at least 5000lb cargo weight and is roughly 2' tall from ground to deck height. You will need railroad ties to sit the cockpit on if is still round on the bottom. If it's flat bottom, you'll still need the railroad ties because you have the trailer wheels and wheel wells above them to contend with. The ties will get you above that height.

Here is the important thing, if it's still 10'2 (with round bottom), you add the 2' of the trailer, and that equals 14'2". The legal height is 13'6"; therefore, you will need an oversized permit. And, it is likely, the back widest width of the cockpit is 10' or 120", but the legal width is 102"...you will be 18" over. You could get away with the wider part, but the height is the problem if the bottom is still there. If you were to hit a bridge or underpass, you're talking big bucks to pay for that, let alone the lawsuits.

As for the trailer, if you could rent one, you'd be better off. Some trailer sales places have rentable trailers available. This way you don't need too buy one for just this one operation. Just curious, do you want to keep the cockpit on the trailer and have it for something like cockpit fest or are you just going to relocate it from storage to someone's home?

You can some good used trailers on Craigslist.

John