Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Huey UH-1 Details

Can anyone help me locate some drawings, dimensions on the above? Really need some cockpit details. Spent hours surfing around the web but I’ve drawn a blank.
    Thank you

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Huey UH-1 Details

various operator's and training manuals have been scanned for the UH-1 and can be down loaded from the Vietnam Historical Archive :http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/ Use "TM-55-1520" and UH-1 Aviator Handbook" as search terms.

Also see http://aavnc-school.com/army%20aviation/TM_UH1.htm

Thanks Mike for those excellent links (and books which I have both) I’m going to be busy.

Still can’t find some dimensions for the instrument panel and center console/pedestal. Just need one or two and could hopefully work out the rest.

Bill

Well still no internal dimensions but learning a lot from Mikes links. I have emailed IWM Duxford to see if they will grant me access to take some internal measurements and photographs. Here a picture of the beauty.

300+ Forum Addict

I went looking for information on the modules in the UH-1 center pedestal and ran across a copy of the maintenance manual for the VHF radio. It has this dimensioned image:

And here's a link to the current version of the AN/APX-100 transponder. The control panel is different from the drawing in the manuals, but the overall dimensions should be the same. http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities...ts_apx100v.pdf

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hey Rockeyes,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I too am starting to work on a Bell 205/ UH-1D Huey cockpit sim. I am in desperate need of some internal dimensions for just about everything on the bird. I live in Temple, TX, and apparently...if I'm told right....the local Texas Army National Guard has a fleet of old Hueys that they dismantal or "demilitarize" and then sell for salvage or something of the sort. Anyhow, this coming week (Aug 1, 2011-Aug 5, 2011) I hope to go out and see if they have any sitting out in the scorching sun. If they do, I plan to spend a couple of hours taking what I think will be very detailed dimensions of some of the major items in the cockpit.

If you have already gotten the information you desire and I can contribute to the overall info, I'd be glad to help. Otherwise, just let me know what you're still needing and I'll see what I can do. Thanks

300+ Forum Addict

Here's another source of military tech manuals: http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Although you probably won't find the dimensions you're currently looking for, the manuals may provide answers for future questions.

We don't have many helicopter sim builders here which is a shame. Please post status updates (with pix!). Sounds like an interesting project.

Thx Mike. BTW, I'm new to the forums, are you the same Mike Powell that wrote the "Building Recreational Flight Simulators" *****?

What are the policies on "sharing" info or CD's full of technical manuals that we may have pertaining to helicopters? Can we pass them or post them for others if we're not asking for money? Or since I had to pay for the information, would that cheat the company that provided the information? I guess after writing this, I just answered my own question, seeing as it would probably upset the website who sells the info for a profit to keep their own doors open.

Anyways, I will definitely start another thread with pix as I go along, I don't want to steal Rockeyes area. Thanks for all the help

300+ Forum Addict

Yup, that would be me.

IANAL, nonetheless, my un-informed opinion is that US military manuals are public domain, and selling CDs of those manuals does not convey a copywrite to the issuing company. That certainly seems to be the opinion of the person who created the free library of manuals at Liberated Manuals. If the manuals are enhanced or modified in some way they may be considered derivative works which might change the situation, but once again, IANAL. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of copywrite can comment.

Just an update. I took a trip last week over to West Texas and spent about three hours in the heat of the hangar trying to get as much detail and pics as I could. I found out there is another Huey about thirty miles away from where I live, so I will be able to go back and forth a lot more.

In the meantime, I'll try to edit the pics so as to not overload the thread, but I did get some measurements on the center control panel, the overhead, and some of the main instrument panel. I also dropped about $2k this last few days ordering an actual Huey main panel and about six instruments and radio parts so as to get a real sense of the inner working of the cockpit.

Mike, I also bought your "Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation" book a few days ago (Thanks for the fast shipping!) and this will definitely come in handy in the way of converting the real instruments into PC compatible items.

I picked up a cyclic grip, the Co-Pilot's collective, and the Pilot's door from an actual Huey. Hopefully, this will all start coming together. I'll take some pics for others, and try to put up some dimensions.

11. Thanks Mike.Powell, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast