Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Link2FS Keys With P3D v2.4 + SimConnect v2.4 Help

Hi Jim & Folks,

I’m hoping that someone might be able to help solve (or at least shed some light upon) a problem I am having with Link2FS Keys.

The Background:
    A friend and I are co-developing a multi (6) screen sim that already has a bunch of hardware in the loop thanks to Jim & Link2FS (and an ever increasing list of more to add).
    Although not relevant, I just happen to be at one end of the country and my partner in crime is 3500km south. The sim itself is roughly halfway between us - by design
    For a host of reasons (predominantly stability & future-proofing), we are both running Win 8.1 64bit machines using Prepar3D, not FSX (although we started out with FSX).
    Whilst I know that Link2FS hasn’t been developed to support P3D per se, until now, it has worked flawlessly for both of us.

I’m trying to hook up some Rotary Encoders to do GNS 530 & 430 stuff – and because the ‘Swap COM1/NAV1 active’ doesn’t appear to exist in SimConnect or FSUIPC, but we can map that function to a keyboard command in the third party app, we were planning on using Link2FS Keys.

The Problem:
    For me, Link2FS Keys does not work correctly. For my partner in crime, it works flawlessly.

Our Troubleshooting:
    We both ran up simple commands (q & p) using link2fs_multi_fsx_v5h and link2fs_multi_fsx_v6f.
    His work.
    Mine Don’t.
    I can ‘see’ the command departing Link2FS (via monitor).
    I can ‘see’ the P3D Window come into focus, briefly, but no command works.
    I’ve tried setting the Keys Delay from 00 to 99, but still no commands are triggered.
    Finally, I ran up FSX Deluxe 10.0.616370, and of course it works perfectly. Grrr.

The P3D Environments:
    I am running P3D v 2.4.0.0, whereas he is running P3D V2.0.9448 – although I suspect that isn’t the problem.
    My P3D is using SimConnect v2.4, whereas his is using v2.0.
    I suspect that the P3D v2.0 SimConnect would be closer to what both the above versions of Link2FS are built around (but of course do not know).
    At best, I’m a novice code-cutter.
    The ‘actual sim’ is P3D v 2.4 and SimConnect v2.4 – and for other reasons, reverting to 2.0 isn’t really an option.

The Questions:
    1) Is it likely to be disparity between SimConnect Versions that are causing me grief, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
    2) Has anyone else run into similar and identified a fix/work-around?
    3) Does anyone have thoughts on something I may be able to try as a work-around?
    4) Jim, do you have plans to begin supporting P3D explicitly (and if not, how can we, the end-users of your software convince you otherwise (grovel, grovel)).

Many thanks in advance for all thoughts/guidance.

CRaSH

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Link2FS Keys With P3D v2.4 + SimConnect v2.4 Help

Hi Crash ,, thanks for the excellent run down of the problem ,,, I am a bit surprised as the 'Keys' bit is really quite separate from all the rest and no ,, it doesn't use simconnect.

What it does is fire the keystroke into the windows API and it is seen by windows as a keyboard input ,, so really the only thing that can block it is UAC stuff or "run as administrator" etc etc.

Have a play in that area Crash and see how you go.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Hi Jim,

thanks for the prompt reply, but how embarrassing!!

We're both running P3D in Admin mode, but I never thought about UAC so was running Link2FS as a pleb.

All fixed thank you mate - chalk one up for the Kiwis

Out of interest, what plans (if any) of formalising Link2FS support of P3D?

Cheers
    CRaSH

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Great you got it going Crash ,,, yea it's the simple things that normally catch people.

For me ,,, where to from here ??? I wouldn't have a clue.

Just the same ,, I set out to introduce the Arduino to the flightsim community and I've done that ,, but to continue to keep up with 'this' and 'that' is probably better done by people more 'into' software development than what I am.
    There are other programs coming thru so that's good ,, we'll see.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !