Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Saitek Toe Brakes

Newbie, first post. Is it possible to pass the toe brake signals throught the Arduino card before sending to FSX? I want to apply some logic to ignore the toe brake signals while the parking brake is on. In FSX, if you tap the brakes the parking brake is automatically released. I want to stop this. I was thinking of using the FSUIPC section of link2fs to get the toe brake signals but I've never used FSUIPC before. Is this possible? Before I go off in this direction. Do I need to pay for FSUIPC or will the free version work?
    Andy

Re: Saitek Toe Brakes

I'm away from my sim pc so I don't have a copy of Link2FS to refer to but, assuming it picks up the park brake status this would be a fairly easy bit of code to write. If Link2FS does not read the park brake status then you would need to come up with an alternate solution using either FSUIPC and a LUA script, or FSUIPC in combination with Link2FS's expert section which interfaces with FSUIPC.

But for the moment I'll assume Link2FS does read the park brake condition.

I would use a hardware switch to control my park brake function. The switch would be hooked to a digital input on an Arduino and the code would monitor the condition of the switch and the park brake status from FSX. If the park brake was engaged or disengaged via my switch I would send the appropriate Sim Connect code to FSX through Link2FS. I would also monitor the park brake status of FSX and if at any point it does not agree with my switch I would override it by sending the appropriate code back to FSX. So, if my Park Brake switch is on and I tapped the toe brakes triggering the FSX park brake to disengage the Arduino would see this and because it disagrees with my hardware switch the Arduino would send the code to reengage the park brake. Or, the reverse if my hardware switch is off and I engage the park brake via FSX the Arduino would see the conflict and disengage the park brake.

Again, without a copy of Link2FS in front of me I don't know if it reads the park brake condition, but if so the above could be done with a couple if, then, else statements.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I've already done and it works ok unless I'm doing power checks at full throttle etc and I accidently touch the toe brakes. The parking brake is released, Arduino overrides it again but because I'm still touching the toe brakes the parking brake value is again overridden and releases again, but Arduino again switches the parking brake back on. This cycle continues until I fully release the toe brakes. The result is a flickering parking brake with the plane creeping forward. This is why I want to 'block' the toe brake signals while the parking brake is on. I've read you can pass the Saitek brake signal through FSUIPC, but it it possible to block these signals in link2fs if the parking brake digital input is on? Thanks again,
    Andy

Andy,

Sorry, I didn't realize you had already gone that far. Anyway, I believe there is a way to do it via FSUIPC if you are willing to venture into a bit of LUA coding. I have not tried this idea myself but, I have a post with details bookmarked on another forum for a future enhancement I have planned for my sim pit.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/702...-button-state/

The above thread talks about how to change the function of a joystick axis using a button. I would think you could adapt that idea to your situation with only a minor tweak to the lua code. The button in your case would be your park brake switch. When engaged I would code it to reassign your toe brakes to some unused axis of the aircraft your flying. Like maybe spoilers if you are flying a GA aircraft. Then when the park brake is disengaged the lua code directs your tow brakes back to the tow brake axis. The lua code for your switch would need a small modification in that it would need to trigger the change of joystick axis and set or release your park brake.

If you do decide to pursue that it would be best to jump into the thread over on that forum. It would be off topic for this forum if it doesn't leverage Link2FS/Arduino and I wouldn't want to use Jims forum for things other than Link2FS/Arduino. However, a follow up post back here would be great to let others know how you made out on it.

That said, I suspect with a little more digging we could also come up with a way to accomplish this purely via Link2FS and Arduino but, nothing comes to mind off the top. I'd need to experiment a little. Or perhaps some other Link2FS/Arduino users far smarter that I might have solutions in mind.

And, of course there's always the Experts section of Link2FS where FSUIPC and Link2FS play together. Unfortunately when it comes to "Expert" section I'm no expert so I can't be of much assistance. I'm self taught on Arduino coding and lua scripting which means I can right functional code, and have a few thousand lines under my belt, but I'm always bolting the wings on as I take off so it gets interesting. I am starting to look at the Experts section of Link2FS but have gotten very far with it.

Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4

Andy,

I had a few minutes to look at Link2FS and FSUIPC this evening and and it does appear to me that you would need to delve into the Experts section of Link2FS to control the toe brake axis.

The park brake position can be read from extraction So, that means you'd need to read and write to the FSUIPC offsets that control brakes: 66387 AXIS_LEFT_BRAKE_SET and 66388 AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET via the experts section of Link2FS.

As I mentioned above I'm just starting to poke around with the experts section so I can't offer much assistance there, but if others with more experience can I'll be reading and learning along with you.

150+ Forum Groupie

Andy and Tom,

What about the widening the Toe Brake null zone so it can take a nudge without engaging?

Since the Toe Brake wiring does not go thru the Arduino, (unless you want to hack them and run some wire), I don't think it is possible with Link2FS only.

It is likely possible from inside FSUIPC(registered), or a MACRO loaded into FSUIPC, or a LUA script.

If you go with the hardware, wire hack, might I suggest CAT5 cable with RG45 connectors at the both ends. You can install a female jack on the Pedals and one at the Arduino and then use any readily available CAT5 patch cable.
    You would probably want to use opto-isolators as solid state relays to "cut" the Toe Brakes while Parking Brake is Set.

~Fess
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

Tom, Fess,
    Thank you both for your replies. Fess, I don't fancy going down the hardware route and start cutting up my rudder pedals (not yet anyway, unless that's my only option) as the FSUIPC seems to be my best choice. Tom, I'm certainly no expert either but using Jim's help notes I easily figured out how to use the Expert section. This is how I'm controlling the brake signals. I'm reading the raw data, multiplying by 1000 to make the numbers easier to work with (loose the decimal) and read these values in Arduino. I'm basically saying if the value is not 1000 when parking brake input is on, then write 1000. (Toe brakes are 520 when off to 694 when on. 1000 is parking brake on. )
    I guess what I really need to know is can I read my toe brakes using FSUIPC without these values going to FS? And can Jim's expert section import these values into Link2fs? I know I can write brake values back to FS. I just need to direct them through link2fs via FSUIPC. Just need to know this is possible before I pay for FSUIPC really. Thanks again guys.
    Andy.

150+ Forum Groupie

Apologies to Andy,

OFF TOPIC

What the **** are these "shopping links added by Skimwords"?

I have just noticed them in this thread.

I don't like them.

Is Mycockpit trying to monetize more? Or did someone accidently check a box?

When I put a link in my post it is for the benefit of the reader, not EFFING spam!

~Fess
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

Fess, Not sure what links you are referring to. The only links i am seeing are the ones that I believe should be here. 1.The facebook link in my signature line; 2. the geek forge link in your signature line, and the si flight forum link I referred Andy to. No other links appear. What is it you're seeing???

Andy,

The only thing I can think of is a variation on what I said above. Assign your two breaks in FSUIPC to some otherwise unused axis that will not affect your aircraft. And read that FSUIPC axis value into Link2FS via the Experts section. Then output it to via link2 FS as toe brakes only when the park brake is not engaged.

Again, nothing I have done myself so only talking conceptually here but, it might be worth a try.

Tom G.

PS: regarding the purchase of FSUIPC. IMHO it is an essential piece of software. I would never install FSX without installing FSUIPC. With every setup I build I delete all the button and axis assignments out of native FSX and run them all through FSUIPC. Comparing the native Windows/FSX joystick calibration and button assignment functions to those in FSUIPC is like comparing an abacus to a Cray Supercomputer. Again, just my opinion, but I will never go back to the native FSX control functions now that I've seen how much better FSUIPC is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast