Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    300+ Forum Addict

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Found Enthusiasm Is Killing Me! DIY MCDU Build

So my new found(re-kindled) enthusiasm for sim building is getting serious. Among the projects I have in the works is a new MCDU, built from scratch. I am working on the CAD files to laser cut the keys, panels, etc. When it comes to the monitor, I am looking at 4.3 - 5 inch VGA LCD monitors on Ebay. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I am thinking that I can use a USB keys card like the one from OC, or similar. My biggest concern is can I interface that with the MCDU in Jeheel's software, and will his software drive the display for the MCDU on the little 4.3 inch monitor? My design is going to be very similar to the OC MCDU. If it comes out good I will offer the CAD files to the community, and pre-cut cut panels for the cost of the plastic and shipping. But let's not get the cart before the horse.... If anyone else has done this, and has information to share on the interfacing with Jeheel, please tell me about it.

Thanks,

Buddy

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: New Found Enthusiasm Is Killing Me! DIY MCDU Build

Buddy,
    If you use USB keys from oc jl has sioc creator that maps these keys to his MCDU.So you should be able to move the
    MCDU display to your display as part of the extended desktop. Just have to make sure your panel keys align with the
    display messages. I have built a Hispanels MCDU which uses USB keys card and all this will require is to use SIOC Creator
    to do the mapping. have a look at the Hardware modules in JL soft and see what the setup is.
    Hope this helps.
    Les

300+ Forum Addict

Thanks, I will do so right now. I just made some test cuts on the laser to see how well I could cut out the key tops and the panels, looks like it wont to difficult. I am curious, do you have any pictures of how the Hispanels assemble?

Thanks,

Buddy

300+ Forum Addict

While on this subject, I have noticed a few slightly different MCDU designs out there.... Will I run into trouble using one vs. anther?

300+ Forum Addict

Still more questions..... I want to run the MCDU on a VGA monitor, but I am pretty sure that I tossed my PS One monitor long ago. Does anyone have any suggestions for a modern TFT display of the correct dimensions? I looked a bunch on Ebay, but the all seem to be widescreen, so a bit to short from top to bottom... I can redesign the MCDU panels easy enough to fit a different screen, but would prefer to find the correct one......

500+ This must be a daytime job

The Hispanels MCDU had an acrylic back plate that the switches were supposed to be attached to and then hand wired.
    There was a guy once that did a pcb for the Boeing one which made life easier. I bought one and fitted it to the Hispanel
    A320 mcdu, it was a bit of a fiddle but got a reasonable look. Unfortunately he does not make them anymore.
    If you do a search for diy mcdu some assembly options pop up.
    Here is what I think used and the image was great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-AV-drive...item4ac9664bfc

Hope this helps.

Les

300+ Forum Addict

Thanks for the info! I had actually been looking at that unit. I am so anxious to cut the panels it's killing me, but better to wait to I can make the LCD cutout perfect. I made some test cuts for key tops and they came out great! Very cool stuff....

300+ Forum Addict

Ordered the VGA display, now the long and painful waiting.... More questions... has anyone ever tried adding an audible feedback to the MCDU keys? Like a short "beep" each time a key is pressed? Heck, for all I know it already does it. I don't have JL's FMGS software loaded yet.

300+ Forum Addict

BTW, for anyone else that has built a MCDU, did you make the key tops from clear acrylic or white translucent acrylic? I am experimenting with both. Kinda seems like a tie so far, but I saw a A-10 FMC with clear keys and green backlights that looked incredible..... I was going to backlight mine with amber LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by iwik View Post

There was a guy once that did a pcb for the Boeing one which made life easier. I bought one and fitted it to the Hispanel
    A320 mcdu, it was a bit of a fiddle but got a reasonable look. Unfortunately he does not make them anymore.
    Les
    @buddym:

I happen to have one of these boards lying around, which I will not be using in my build. Are you interested?

Hans
    Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast