Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

The danish 727-project

Hello

I'm not new to this forum; I've been around here for quite some time. It really is a great (the best!) source for solutions and inspiration for building a home cockpit!

However I am new in the matter of actually building a home cockpit. Through the past year, I've been collecting items for my 727 cockpit and think that I'm now ready to give it a shot!

One week ago I had less than no knowledge on how to interface buttons and switches, FSUIPC etc. It was all greek to me! But it turned out, that it's not really that hard and sources like mycockpit.org really is helpfull here!

So yesterday i managed to connect the mode selector on my 727 flt dir mode control unit to the BU0836X card, and it's working perfectly fine! Do you remember that first time you actually managed to function a switch or a button, and something really happened in FS?! I's an amazing feeling!

I've attached a few photos of some of my "hardware".

The Sperry 150 autopilot is actually a new addition (recieved it a few days ago). If anyone has managed to modify a such, please share your experiences! I'm thinking a 24v supply will do(?)

I'm looking so much forward to begin this project! - And i wish you all a happy holiday!

Best Regards,
    Lasse H. Christensen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: The danish 727-project

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this. You really can't get more real than using actual aircraft parts, and also keep us updated on how you do it if you do manage to interface these parts as other people in the future can buy these parts and see what pins and plugs connect to what part of the instrument/panel.

Welcome to the forum, and i hope to see lots more posts from you!

Best Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Thank you Geremy! I'll keep posting on this forum as soon as any progress i done. It surdenly takes time to build a cockpit, but that's off cause the charm of this hobby.

75+ Posting Member

Hi Lasse

Looking forward to follow your project. Looks good with the real components.

I have just "finalized" my own small cockpit, and yes it takes long time

Regards
    Claus
    www.737sim.dk

25+ Posting Member

Hi Lasse,

24V will be fine for the Korrys, I replaced the original bulbs with 24V LED lamps (www.Conrad.de), the have a slightly colder colour but draw less current and don't get so hot.
    I think the APD also needs 24V (but I'm not sure). Look at the bulbs, but these little ones (CM something) are likely to use 24 (2 V.
    For the backlighting try 5V, both for the AP and the FD.
    I'm not sure for the solenoids to hold the AP paddels, maybe 12V are sufficient, but probably they will be 24V (everything of course 28V in the real aircraft, but 24V work pretty well). To be on the safe side, probably it will be best to start at 5 V and slowly step up. I plan to use relais to control mine.

Good luck and post pictures,
    Florian

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar

Nice to see more Danish cockpit projects.
    Looking forward to follow the development.
    Sincerely,

Claus

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

Cool that there are others doing 727's! In Scandinavia even ! I'm curretly collecting stuff for my pit. I've got an over head panel, a Sperry AP and a flight director on the way! What are you doing for the MIP? I've designed my own, it will be cut in early January.

Verticallimit, I've been following your md-80 project for some time now. It has been very helpfull, and has brought a lot of ideas and inspiration for my own sim. Thanks!

I came across your 737 sim today Claus - It's really great! Saw your video on youtube, please keep posting more of these!

Thank you very much Florian! I'll certanly try this out as soon as return from my parents after Christmas. I managed to desembly the "approach-annunciator-warning-light-assembly" (don't know what the correct description is?) and light it up with a 12v power supply. Works perfectly good!
    Are you allso building a 727 Florian?

My MIP is currently made out of wood, as well as the bezels for the gauges. It's pretty hard to cut the bezels without breaking the wood, so I'm thinking to give it a shot with some sort of plastic and a hobby knife.
    Looking forward to follow you on your 727 project Olav! Which material are you using for the MIP?

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

My MIP will be made out of sheet metal. It'll be cut at a friends work shop from my drawings (he has a water cutter). The bezels will also be water cut in plastic or aluminum.

75+ Posting Member

If you need some manuals to help with the layouts, I have a FCOM, cockpit layout, and a few items from an ATA 727-200, plus a Boeing DME and tiller handle that is just laying about....would love to see it get put to use.

The 727 is a phenomenal bird, and would have been my first pick, except that the TRUE flight deck is around 10-12 feet long and I just couldn't get the space...hence the reason for the DC-9-32. Whatever I can help with from a resource gathering perspective here stateside, please let me know as well, as I have a number of great resources that will help with getting a simpit off the ground. DEFINITELY recommend going with real pieces whenever possible, as it really helps to add that extra dimension. Additionally, it has helped me on the DC-9-32 as I'm "connecting the dots" to piece assemblies together, rather than trying to figure out how to create this aircraft from scratch (unlike Boeing, McDonnell Douglas actually hand built the cockpits, putting them together piece by piece....which is part of why the aircraft are so much more reliable/well built in the opinions of many mechanics. Boeing assembles the cockpit and then just basically slides the finished cockpit in, then wraps the shell around it).

Additionally, I can help you as some pieces for the 737 and 727 are interchangeable, and I'd be happy to help on that as well.
    Jon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast