150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Spanning P3D across two displays

I have two screens over which I span P3D plus two more screens for side views. When I ordered the PC I originally specified Nvidia cards as they were reckoned to be the best in the forums but I found they did not work, it was not possible to span FSX which I was then using across two screens. I contacted Nvidia who confirmed that it could not be done (blaming Windows). I had the cards changed to ATI HD7970 and they have worked fine and this carried through to P3D. However one of the cards has failed (under warranty) and The builders are going to replace both cards as the one fitted is no longer current and they are planning to give me two Matrix R9 280X. I have the option to negotiate on the replacement cards and I am wondering whether it is possible to span P3D across two screens using NVidia.
    My setup can be seen on http://www.a320sim.com in the gallery.
    Barry

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: Spanning P3D across two displays

Perhaps with something like this --

http://zotacusa.com/zotac-displaypor...i-adaptor.html
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

150+ Forum Groupie

It's not a hardware problem, if you plug two screens into a graphics card you can get an extended desktop. If you use FSX you can then drag the main display across the whole desktop and run in either windowed or full screen mode. This works fine with ATI cards and I have been doing it for years. If you try it with NVidia you can drag the screen and it just rubber bands back to one screen.
    I was amazed when I discovered this as I assumed everyone did it. I think many people use three screens which is obviously better for a single seat cockpit but not much good for two seats as you have the bezels straight in front of you. What I don't know is whether P3D works in a different way, I know it is OK with ATI as that is what I do but I don't want to waste money on NVidia if it still won't work.
    If you look at the link above you can see my setup, even when I used two projectors as seen in some of the early shots, I still spanned the view the same way.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Barry

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Hi Barry, I can span P3D (haven't tried FSX-SE) over 2 screen. However, 'maxmizing' the window only fills the screen on one monitor.
    I use a nvidia video card.

The alternative is to try a dual head to go (matrox) to 'fake' windows into thinking your desktop real estate is actually larger then it is.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

150+ Forum Groupie

Ah it sounds like the problem is still there which leads me to stick with ATI which works fine. I can run full screen on two monitors. My only inclination to change is that Nvidia seem to support FSX/P3D better but from your observation I'll leave well alone. My opportunity to change at zero cost is very short!
    Thanks again
    Barry
    PS Here we only work on sims when the weather is cold, why are you not on the beach?