Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: link2fs doesn't see fsx steam edition

10+ Posting Member

Re: link2fs doesn't see fsx steam edition

I had the same error saying it wasn't running it is a good program
    the only time I had a problem was when I went from fsx to fsx steam edition but when I did a clean install on my new computer )never had fsx old) i had no problems I don't remember are you going from old fsx to steam version?

10+ Posting Member

I did have it installed, and then removed FSX and Steam, Then I went through the entire registry and deleted everything mentioning STEAM or FSX, and reinstalled STEAM.

Its no biggie, I am guessing I am just going to have to write a .lua Program. I thought Jim would be able to help, his software is super easy.. But alas, it doesn't work for me now. In Reading his Readme Document it says... If it still doesn't work --> Go use something else.

Thanks for all your help!

10+ Posting Member

well that sucks what cockpit are you building

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Well Trev (Beech99) ,, we really have thrown all the toys out of the cot haven't we.

Let's get a few things straight here first ,,,

My 'Multi works fine with FSX.
    My 'Multi' works fine with FSX SE (Steam edition).
    The problem you are fighting is the crap installer that 'Steam' have made where it just plonks what it want's onto your computer so their program runs and to heck with anything else you already have installed.

Now ,, my 'Multi' ,,,
    Needs to be on the same computer as FSX. (or FSX SE)
    Needs to have access to the Net framework (ver 2 or above) ,, if this is a problem the 'Multi' wont start and just crashes.
    Needs to see Simconnect version RTM (ver 10.0.60905.0) and obviously Simconnect needs to see FSX. (or FSX SE)

If the 'Multi' can't find Simconnect then the "Can't find FSX" comes up.

So assuming you have FSX on your computer ,, you first need to uninstall it.
    Then also uninstall any other Add-on that points to FSX or Simconnect ,, for instance ,,,
    the FSX SDK,, the Simconnect SDK,, FSUIPC ,, etc etc anything that uses FSX or Simconnect.
    Once all the above have be uninstalled then with a good registry cleaner ,, clean the registry so all traces of FSX and Simconnect are removed. (You may have to check all that manually with regedit)
    During all the above you should reboot your computer where necessary.

Now you can install the Steam version of FSX.
    Once that is installed you need to install the correct version of Simconnect (RTM) which got downloaded along with the main program. ,,,
    On your computer go to ,,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces
    and then go into the folder called “FSX-RTM”

Double click on the file called "SimConnect.msi"
    This will put a folder in the Windows / WinSxS directory which has a long name but it will contain the RTM Simconnect.dll version 10.0.60905.0 ,, check it is there. (You may have to "turn hidden files On")

During all the above you should reboot your computer where neccesary.

If all the above are done correctly and you still have trouble then the only thing left is the UAC or "run as administrator" etc etc.

Other than that,, I haven't got a clue ,, all the above is basically in this thread and Tom has said what worked for him so if it worked for him and not for you then you need to find what your doing wrong.

At the end of the day ,, this is not a Link2fs problem ,, it's the configuration on your computer via compliments of Steams rubbish installer.

Anyway I take it your not going to use my program now so I've waisted my time stepping all this out but someone else may find it useful.

As far as your personal attack on me in your webpage ,, I will respond with an extra page on my website ,, just for you ,,, stepping out my side of things and why so may people are now not making freeware for flightsim.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

FSX Steam from the sideline.
    Seeing that there is a lot of questions on different forums, about why things do not work as expected after they have installed FSX Steam.
    I can not see why this should come as a bombshell on someone!
    Just a little mind games.
    Is it possible that Steam in a short time has created a product, that is better than what Microsoft and all those who have made addons since 2006, have been able to?
    How is Steam to make money on their acquisition of FSX?
    By making it easy for people to use the addons that they have spent years to buy (and gain for free, thank you Jim)? Hardly!
    I read a post where a guy advertised unrestrained about FSX Steam. He then listed the computer speqs and the bought addons through Steam. What I saw was that he not only had an incredibly powerful computer. He had also bought a big bunch of addons.
    What I mean is that people should take a step aside and ask themselves: Why go from FSX to FSX Steam!
    For me it's like starting from scratch just to end where I am now, at a huge price!
    If anyone thought this was a little too far over the sideline, sorry, but I could not help myself
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

10+ Posting Member

Jim,

Sorry that you seem to feel this is all a personal attack on you. It isn't. Its Just a description of the facts, it is detailed exactly as it happened. With no embellishment. I was just looking for some guidance as to what Link2FS was looking for in order to not say (FSX Not running) Clearly this is not a Link2FS Problem. Especially when my first paragraph said it works!. Its a Problem with Steam, However what I was looking for was a little help to better understand what registry entries it was looking for etc. Everyone keeps saying to just install the previous versions of simconnect, which I had done multiple times after uninstalling/reinstalling/cleaning registry etc.

In any case the point is now moot.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings! Freeware developers are needed in this hobby, I have been in this hobby for 16 Years, and consider my abilities to be above par, and if I can't make something work, it sure as **** isn't from lack of trying. Usually I spend weeks trying to make things work before I try to ask a developer for help. Thanks for your response, hopefully it will help others.

Best regards.

So true Buzzi ,,, I know I'm staying with the boxed FSX as I know where I'm at with that one.

It would have to be something really outstanding for me to change but for $5 I thought I would give it a try ,, silly me ,, all it done was mess up my computer ,, it's all gone now and I had to re-install the boxed FSX.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Ha, Ha It's amazing how easily fooled we are. If the pricetag is right, we will go in herds off cliffs!
    However, I allowed myself to take a step back, to check the view, before I jumped! Glad I did.
    The only thing I could see for certain, was that Stem was to offer servers for better gameplay!
    In view of the disadvantages (I have some knowledge about Steam), that was not appealing.
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

Hehee ,,, the redeeming factor here was it wasn't in my main flying computer.

Before anything hits my main flying computer it is flogged to heck and back on my 'Non flying' computer ,, I would hate to think of what I would need to do if I had to re-do the main flying one.

not sure if this will be read... but I have a issue same.. I have box edition and steam ... link2fs will only conect to box not steam..... any help to get it to work with be thankful.... I have clean out reg. and rerun the simconnect.... not sure what else to do....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast