Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Starting a home build a couple questions

Hi guys so i'm starting a small home build. I have purchased some DC-10 throttles and i was wondering how i would be able to link them too flight sim i am relatively new to the home building part of it. I have a large simulator but besides the computer it was all pre-built items. I am relatively good at learning new things and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to link these throttles to flight sim. At the moment i am in contact with a company about having them do it for me but i wanted to find out if it would be cheeper and faster to do it myself. Thanks guys id really appreciate some advice!
    Also where is the best place to buy scrapped aircraft parts such as MD-11 or DC-10 parts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Starting a home build a couple questions

You can buy parts at AHPS or Boneyard2U among a few others, though you might have trouble finding flight engineer panel sections. For the most part, linking it to flightsim shouldn't be too difficult. How much experience with electronics do you have?

Glad to see another classic, good luck!

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avro748 View Post
    You can buy parts at AHPS or Boneyard2U among a few others, though you might have trouble finding flight engineer panel sections. For the most part, linking it to flightsim shouldn't be too difficult. How much experience with electronics do you have?

Glad to see another classic, good luck!
    im pretty good with electronics but I do have people who can help me. Right now I got a quote for $1200 to interface. What do you think it would cost me to do it myself and where would I start?

It would cost very little to do it yourself. Well under $1200. In terms of your knowledge, do you know the basics, like wiring a switch, wiring a potentiometer, and wiring an LED to a circuit?

10+ Posting Member

It would cost very little to do it yourself. Well under $1200. In terms of your knowledge, do you know the basics, like wiring a switch, wiring a potentiometer, and wiring an LED to a circuit?
    Ok, myself i do not know much but i have two people who do know a lot about it and are willing to help me. In terms of how to begin where should i start?

What do you need to know?

The thing is, I can't help you unless I know where to start. A lot of people come by saying that they don't know very much, but exactly how much they know varies heavily from person to person. Some of them know the basics of electronics but don't know how to apply it to flight sim. Some people don't know how to find dimensions. Everyone who says they're unsure are unsure about different things. Just tell me what parts of the process you don't know, and I can probably help.

10+ Posting Member

What do you need to know?

The thing is, I can't help you unless I know where to start. A lot of people come by saying that they don't know very much, but exactly how much they know varies heavily from person to person. Some of them know the basics of electronics but don't know how to apply it to flight sim. Some people don't know how to find dimensions. Everyone who says they're unsure are unsure about different things. Just tell me what parts of the process you don't know, and I can probably help.
    thank you for responding. I am uncertain about getting the signal from the throttles to my computer. I believe the throttles are mechanical levers so I am trying to determine what's required to capture the movement of the throttles and convert into a input signal for my PC. Would that be through an analog to digital board conversion with some kind of an actuator? Can you recommend an approach that you've seen before.

Use a potentiometer. It's a simple device that is used in almost all joysticks. The people you know who have electronics experience will be able to help you find the right one and set it up. You will need one for each throttle. The potentiometers will read the throttle lever positions and send the info to whatever interface card you use that supports axes.

10+ Posting Member

Use a potentiometer. It's a simple device that is used in almost all joysticks. The people you know who have electronics experience will be able to help you find the right one and set it up. You will need one for each throttle. The potentiometers will read the throttle lever positions and send the info to whatever interface card you use that supports axes.
    Ok thank you, now also the buttons on the throttles such as the toga switch and AT disconnect switches how would i interface that. the wires on the quadrant are still intact and i was told by someone to run a current through the wires to determine which one links with the buttons then to use a Analog to digital converter to interface that with the computer. Do you have any recommendations on a better way of doing this?

Okay, I have never heard of an "analogue to digital converter" being used in this case. Look, all buttons and switches will work the same way. Each button should have two wires. Use one as a ground, and use the other as the input. Use them with an input card of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast