Thread: New Man! :)

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New Man! :)

Hello all,

Wow, what an awesome place for information.
    will be spending many hours on here i'm certain, just thought id say hi and apologize in advance for the amount of newbie questions I will be bombarding you all with.

I'm Chris, always been an avid flight simmer since fs98 and used to be part of an old freeware design group back in the day. then real life got a hold of me so mortgages and bills became important, now the children are older and the bills are more manageable.......I got the bug again.

so in the pipeline for me is an Avro Rj cockpit build....(when I say pipeline, I mean i've bought the pipe, Planned on paper what will be required, and am ready to commit my basic skills to the task, obviously my skills and time commitments are estimating this on an 18-24 month project as im planning to build my own components as much as i can. my childish eagerness reckons ill have it done by the weekend!!! )

im looking for vast amounts of information on the Avro RJ. mainly specs and dimensions of the panels. (They say a picture tells a thousand words....well Im still looking for the one that tells me the Avionics sub panel plate is 7 inches wide by 9inches long !!)
    I have a cabfile of pictures of the RJ cockpit but was wondering if any of you guys know where I could find info like this from

Thanks again
    Chris

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: New Man! :)

They have an Avro RJX at Manchester airport viewing park, which is able to be viewed internally. Perhaps for a donation and some kind words you could gain cockpit access for photos and dimensions.

Best of luck with your project.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Re: New Man! :)

There's a forum user here named Mach7. He's doing the 146-100, which is more or less the same size only with analogue instruments (the cooler kind of instruments). Either way, he's using a combination of real parts and homemade parts, andhe could definitely help you with the dimensions. You could also do what I did to find the dimensions for my build. I wrote about it in a previous thread, so I'll just add the quote in here. It was for a user building a Q400, but it all still applies, and the website in the link probably has AvroRJ stuff as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Avro748
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a trick to finding dimensions that never fails.

Step 1:
    Obtain a relatively flat image or poster of the part you need dimensions for. Here's one for the Q400's MIP and overhead:
    http://www.avsoft.com/index.php?q=node/171 (Note that the three drawings are not to scale with each other, but the individual ones are to scale with the same part on the real aircraft. There is also a pedestal drawing, but it is top down and won't be of much use)

Step 2:
    Use a dimension that you already know, and scale the image from there on your PC. It could be an instrument, a lamp, or even a fastener.

Step 3:
    Start drawing a plan in Autocad based on what you find, the more pictures you use and scale up, the more accurate it will be. If you find something that contradicts something you've already done, find more pictures until you get your answers. Remember that nothing needs to be exact, as you won't notice a few millimeters while you're flying. Good luck!