Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: PDP11 for full flight simulator in '70-'80s

With the low cost of Pro Mini clones, I was thinking that one may be a reasonable substitute for 8 or 9 74HC595 shift registers. I have run a Mega329P dip package on a breadboard running SEVSEG to drive 8 seven segment displays controlled via IIC from an Arduino MEGA1128. The setup was not scoped to confirm that the segments were multiplexed but the numeral 1 and numeral 8 were the same brightness using resistors on the common anode pins only. The literature says that processing in the background is possible but I do not know how much. It may be worth further investigation.

Hugh
    ---CYXD ----- TWR --- GND ------ Closed
    ILS-- NDB -- 119.1 -- 121.9 ---- 11/2013

75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: PDP11 for full flight simulator in '70-'80s

You said only 8-9 shift registers... I need a lot MORE!!! In fact, I need 100 of them with fast update rate. I have solved the issue with 74HC595 and RS-232 communication.I will be using 2x 4-16 demultiplexer to get 16*16 values. That is to select which logic flip flop that I shall write to or read which is a much better way because I can select which logic flip flop shall be updated than updating the whole of '595s.I will be using USB to SPIhttp://no.rs-online.com/web/p/multiprotocol-transceivers/7617204/to get the input/output very fast. With that method, I will be able to communicate 100 times faster than 115.200 baud rate that is maximum in RS-232 standard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123