500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino - LINK2FS Progress

Well, the Arduino / link2fs experiments are going well. I have managed to get the LM1640 module, the I2C LCD module as well. These things and the whole setup with link2fs is pretty cool. Thanks Jim! I love the LM1640 module, but the digits are just too big, and there are on 16 of them. Otherwise it would be perfect for the AP displays. Not too bad for only 4 connections to the Arduino, besides power and ground. Has me thinking though. If I were building a generic cockpit instead of an A320 it would be ideal. The I2C LCD is pretty cool, and a guy could build an awesome setup with 2 or 3 of them, thinking coms/nav, AP, etc. SO EASY to use with this software and I2C. Even an Arduino Uno has enough pins to get the job done. I am really close to going ahead with a generic build just to do it! Sure wish there was a LED display module like this with .30 inch digits!

25+ Posting Member

Re: Arduino - LINK2FS Progress

take a look to what i have done with those spectacular lm1640 modules. built my boeing mcp with two of them.

DSCF5057.jpgDSCF5053.jpg

3. Likes xflight38, bizjet999 liked this post

That looks great! My sim panels are spot-on for size and layout for the A320, so just one of these 16-digit panels covers the entire display window for the AP, it's just way too big. I might go the same route as you in the mean time though, it looks really good. What are your different LCD displays showing?

25+ Posting Member

the lcds are displaying: altimeter, flaps position, spoiler position, fuel tank values, flight status, wind, and of course all the radio com setings. this project is a little bit of on going dream, i'm always thinking of ways to improve it. half the fun is in the building stuff through the arduino platform. good luck with yours

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buddym View Post
    ..... The I2C LCD is pretty cool, and a guy could build an awesome setup with 2 or 3 of them, thinking coms/nav, AP, etc. SO EASY to use with this software and I2C. Even an Arduino Uno has enough pins to get the job done....
    According to data sheets, these I2C-LCD got their own pull up resistors for SDA and SCL lines. Usually they are 4.7 K resistors. What will happen, if we connect two or more I2C LCD modules at the same I2C bus – then the resistors from two modules are going to be connected in parallel and the overall resistance from two 4.7 K resistors in parallel will become 2.35 Kohm. Not to mention the fact, that the Wire.h library enables internal pull-ups of 20K.
    Have you already tried to connect multiple I2C displays to a single I2C and how you overcome the problem with “multiple pill-up” of the SDA, SCL lines?

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by trakon View Post
    According to data sheets, these I2C-LCD got their own pull up resistors for SDA and SCL lines.
    Which data sheet are you referring to?

I've used the Adafruit and SainSmart display boards: Adafruit's are based on the MCP23017 chip and SainSmart's on the PD7225, neither of which has an internal pullup on the I2C lines.

25+ Posting Member

Hi, i am referring to DFRobot I2C Lcd ( and their Chinese clone YwRobot ) http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/DF..._Schematic.pdf . According to the schematics, there are two buil-in couples of 10k pull-up resistors on each side of 3.3v-5.v level shifter.
    And i came across the schematics for another i2c-Lcd Module : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IIC-I...362338996.html
    And what they say, there are two build-in 4.7 k pull-ups connected to SDA, SCL lines.
    Now i am even more confused. Initially I was connecting the I2c Lcd with two external 10k pull-up's tied to SDA, SCL lines and it worked fine. But - from what i can see - no one else was using external pull-ups to connect i2c-Lcd modules to arduino, so i tried without pull-ups and again- it worked. When I did the proper research, as I said before – I came across schematics from manufacturers of these I2C Lcd boards and it appears –they use build-in pull-up resistors.
    Another concern is the overall power consumption of those modules. There is no reliable info out there how much maximum power those modules use and what is going to happen if I connect two-three or more I2C-Lcd on the same i2c bus and power them from the same arduino. Some people say- those modules consume 5.5 - 6 mA each and others say-they measured something like 90 mA consumption for each module.

75+ Posting Member

Trakon: DFRobot seems to be doing you a favor by adding their own pull-up resistor on this breakout board (10KΩ) so you don’t have to do it yourself. They use the PCA8574 chip, which like the others I mentioned, does not have an integral pull-up on the i2c. Even with the resistor present, there shouldn’t be any issue having several of these in parallel. A low i2c line (0vdc) will draw 0.5ma through a 10KΩ resistor, adding 10 of these in parallel would only draw an insignificant 5ma.

The maximum allowable power which can be drawn from an Arduino is 200ma, although I would stay well below this limit. If you are concerned that the connected load is getting too high you should be using a separate PS rather than drawing power from the Arduino pins.

Buddy: you were remarking that the LM1640s were too large for your panel. Could you live with 7-segment displays? If you look at the DME display on this radio stack, it is a Sparkfun i2c 7-segment display. The rest of the radio stack is using Gables mechanical heads and you can see that the sizes are very close.

Panl-Center2.jpg

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. That's a great looking setup. Those displays might work, as always, nothing is perfect. If the size were to work out, still leaves me with the problem of getting 5 digits on the AP ALT readout..... These have a nice micro attached too! I wonder
    if the folks at Sparkfun would mind making a 5-digit version or me!!

75+ Posting Member

You might have to build it yourself. Here's a good instruction video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3w7FMUC28M