Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New to the forum, seeking some guidance ;)

New to forum and sim building. I have 20 plus years in the US air force as a flight Engineer on Boing KC-10.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully get some guidance along the way.

Currently running X-Plalne 10 on single Mac. Would like to start with a pedestal, MIP, and autopilot hooked to multiple monitors.
    I have been digging but have not gotten very far on a plan of action.

Have not been able to find plans for a pedestal. Do I need to decide on a MIP first?
    Well actually I guess I will have to decide on software to get al the elements to talk to each other...

These would be for a 737 project since Im more familiar with boing products

See Im not really sure where to start and it has been over a year and have made no progress.

If anyone has any ideas or resources that can get me going in a solid direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: New to the forum, seeking some guidance ;)

I would decide on the avionics software you would like to use first.

For the 737 there is either Prosim737, SimAvionics, or iFly cockpit builders edition.

If you ever decide to build an airbus, there is Jeehell FMGS, which is free
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    I would decide on the avionics software you would like to use first.

For the 737 there is either Prosim737, SimAvionics, or iFly cockpit builders edition.

If you ever decide to build an airbus, there is Jeehell FMGS, which is free

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to move to a Windows based machine to run this type of software.
    Do all of them work well with Opencockpits hardware?
    Since I will have to move to a windows machine what Sim Software do you recommend? FSX P3D? Only familiar with X-Plane.

Can you recommend a area of the forum for 737 build from the ground up?

Did you fly for Omni and Atlas? Have a few friends that were with them years ago.

Thanks again
    Bob

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

No...OmniAtlas, came up with that nickname years ago when I was a teenager and into the whole Ayn Rand thing..lol.

I believe ProSim737 works pretty well with opencockpit hardware. I would check with the ProSim forum. You can download the evaluation version to test it out before you buy.

I have PSX (747 avionics suite) which is fantastic, but have decided it would be impossible for me to build dual link force feedback yokes, so I have decided to stick with my airbus build.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Since you were a flight engineer on the KC-10, why not build a KC-10? Just a thought. Avionics suites like Prosim and PM are unbelievably expensive. Analogue cockpits don't need stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Avro748 View Post
    Since you were a flight engineer on the KC-10, why not build a KC-10? Just a thought. Avionics suites like Prosim and PM are unbelievably expensive. Analogue cockpits don't need stuff like that.
    That would be really cool, The KC-10 is getting a glass upgrade as we speak. Are you saying build actual panel with real gages or aftermarket gages. They all cold run of x-plane?

Well, what I do is put photo real gauges onto a monitor behind the panel. the effect is really nice, and can be done with FS Panel Studio in FSX/FS9. There's probably a similar way of placing gauges in X-Plane. Just find a good DC-10 panel and position its gauges.

An advantage of a three crew cockpit is that you can fly it with two of your friends instead of just one.

10+ Posting Member

Hi LoRusso,
    Regarding your choice of windows simulators, I would recommend P3D. It's essentially FSX but with updated graphics and multi-core CPU support. There is an application you can use which will allow most FSX addons to be used with P3D as well. But I know FSUIPC (Which I think you would need with OC hardware anyways) is available for P3D, as well as all the nice scenery like ORBX, FTX and REX.

If I recall correctly, Lockheed Martin bought the rights to FSX from Microsoft.

FWIW, I was a hardcore FSX simmer until I found P3D. I primarily use it for my IFR training as well as to keep up with my general airmanship skills.

I think either VATSIM and/or IVAO have P3D compatible clients, if you want to start flying with other people.

I don't think there is a specific area for 737 builds, but check out these Sub-Forums

Build Tutorials:
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Where to Start:
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Hope I answered your questions, feel free to let me know if you have any more questions regarding Prepar3d (P3D).

Take care,
    L2F

Quote Originally Posted by LoRusso View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to move to a Windows based machine to run this type of software.
    Do all of them work well with Opencockpits hardware?
    Since I will have to move to a windows machine what Sim Software do you recommend? FSX P3D? Only familiar with X-Plane.

Can you recommend a area of the forum for 737 build from the ground up?

Did you fly for Omni and Atlas? Have a few friends that were with them years ago.

Thanks again
    Bob
    PC: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 1 TB SATA III + 120 GB SSD | NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 4 GB