500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Another Link2FS Question - Demo INO for LCD

I connected a 16x2 LCD up, ran demo code from Arduino website for test. That works, hello, world and all that. Next, I programmed the Arduino with the Multi_LCD_simple__demo code. It appears that the LCD is not getting initialized. I see in the code comments we are using pins 2,3,4,5,6,7 for the LCD, but what function is each pin performing? In the demo code from the Arduino website, 2,3,4,5 are used for D7-D4, pin 12 goes to RS and pin 11 goes to enable.

If anyone else has run tis demo code and got it to work, what are the connections from the Arduino to the LCD?

Thanks,
    Buddy

Re: Another Link2FS Question - Demo INO for LCD

OK, I got this to work by moving the code over to another example of using a LCD in 4-bit mode, using pins 2,3,4,511,12 for the LCD connections. I would still like to hear from someone who has this working as coded in the demo for link2fs.

Thanks,
    Buddy

150+ Forum Groupie

Pinout, setup and operation of the LCD monitor is almost entirely controlled by the LiquidCrystal library. Look in the directory that you installed Arduino program files for Win and My Documents/Arduino/libraries in Linux. View contents of LiquidCrystal.cpp with Dev-C++ IDE. LOOK BUT DO NOT TOUCH.

Data sheets for the 16X2 LCD monitor are available on line. SparkFun Electronics has a good one.

You can create a small function that will combine the set cursor instruction and print instruction
    eg. lcdPrint16( 9, 1, " STBY >" ) ; Anything is possible using Arduino except fixing my busted Linux partition.

Thanks for the reply! I have it working, it was another piece of code causing the issue. I have it working with my 20x4 VFD display now. What a great toy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

Do you have both displays running together? Stupid question. Of course you do. Was thinking of noobies viewing the post later. Looks much better than Hello World.

Not sure what you mean by 'both displays' I just have the VFD connected up in place of the LCD. it's pin-for-pin compatible with standard controller LCDs. I hope get a couple more like this one, they are perfect. I have a bunch of LCDs and other VFDs but these are my favorite. Was thinking of using it to make a generic AP to fly with while I rebuild the A320. I think I saw in this forum section, where someone had done a similar thing. More to come

Buddy

150+ Forum Groupie

Oops! I missed the "VFD" again. Getting to be a habit. Bought a bunch of used 20x1 VFDs online hoping to salvage digits to go with 0.28" 7 segment digits for gen aviation AP and DME output. Next project one of those wands that will display a message if moved laterally at the right speed. Any source for 0.28" 16 segment LED displays near you? New, salvage, part of cheap calculator?

How do the input characteristics of the VFD and LCD compare? Can you run one of each at the same time off Arduino outputs (2, 3, 4, 5 & 7) with separate outputs to display enable on (6 & ? Not that you would want to with the VFD so much brighter.

Should be able to run multiples like that. Will try that this afternoon. I really want to rebuild my A320 AP and EFIS panels, wish I could use the VFD for that, just the wrong size and number of chars. LEDs still seem the way to go, so I ordered some I2C LED displays and will see what happens. I have all of my original displays from OpenCockpits, but want to try and go with the Arduino route if I can, just so much simpler. The LED displays from them are .32. I have ordered tons of displays from BG Micro and the like. Which AP are you building? How many digits?

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi

I'm aiming to duplicate the radio stack display for FSX C172 and build it into a desktop panel usable for generic single engine with retracts and constant speed prop. Need (16) 16 segment characters. The build will employ much artistic licence combining functions and appearance of the FSX panel and King/Bendix components with ease of construction as the deciding factor. I've got the 7 segments, drivers and a handful of Pro Mini MCUs. No dirty trick will be left uncopied. Will even stoop to wire wrapping. See they have 16X2 LCD displays now with red characters on black background. Using eight of these in the interim would speed developement. And cheap, bonus

Great point in using the analog pins. Should be able to monitor airframe switches and all radio stack inputs with four or five analog pins. Was originally thinking of modularizing up to 16 switches onto one MCU and then using I2C to route encoded inputs to the MEGA tasked with uploading to Link2fs.

EDIT: One analog input can monitor many switches by connecting each switch to a different voltage, but, you can only connect one one switch to the input at a time. Rotary switches are an excellent use by themselves. Magneto/starter switch: 5 digital inputs or 1 analog. Toggle or rocker switches - no.

Really, really, wish we could drill holes in LCD monitors, even to position the knob, shaft and bezel trim on the front of the display.
    Last edited by BushPilotWannabe; 11-23-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add limitations for analog input

Sounds like a fun project. I did a 75% build on an A320 cockpit a few years ago. Mothballed it to work on some Cisco certifications. After I started reading about Link2FS I decided to do something again, even on a limited scale, just to play. I have wanted an excuse to play with Arduinos and this is perfect. Link2FS seems like a great program! It is interesting, I have played wit all manner of microcontrollers, and I love the Arduino I also have some Rabbit microcontrollers that re pretty cool too. One has Ethernet, 4 serial ports, A/D, and a bunch of I/O, on a board about the size of a matchbox.