25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PSX Auto throttle programming

Hi Nico,

The auto throttle works cool off one throttle lever, this is no true simulation though.

Is there a way in SIOC to write, if either #1,#2,#3 or #4 virtual throttle is increasing. Then you dc motor equals 1. If all virtual levers = no change then dc motor equal 0. Either #1,#2,#3 or #4 virtual lever decreasing dc motor equals -1. -1 and 1 are only possible if your PSXseecon QS434 = 1. DC motor always equal 0 if your PSXseecon QS434 = 0
    I think the new DC motor variable only equal -1 or 1 when a change value <50 >50 is sensed. This is a buffer to preventa auto-throttle hunting, this works out around 1 degree of real TLA as a FYI.

Trust me, It has to be done this way. I have spent weeks trying to nut this out.

Maybe in PSXseecon this can be done and the use of virtual throttle wouldn't be needed. You would need to add a PSXseecon variable for simulated autothrottle value -1, 0 and 1. I think you can write in VB, maybe not SIOC. Which gives this a huge limitation in SIOC. Even Hardy has mentioned the limitation of PSX lack of autothrottle output, the answer was make our own program to resolve the issue would be required.

Another PSX quirk, if you disconnect the autothrottle and your throttle levers don't match you virtual levers. The virtual levers position stays the same. I think when you disconnect the autothrottle somehow PSXseecon needs to read instantaneously the real #1,#2,#3 and #4 throttle lever position.

Hardy mentioned real hardware TLA should be read instanteous for a micro seconds, to allow pilot intervention when your PSXseecon QS434 = 1, he mention in 1 sec snaps.

Programming this into SIOC or PSXseecon would add to the realism of PSXseecon autothrottle. Maybe you have a solution?

Many thanks,

Blake Hauswirth

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim kiek's Avatar

Re: PSX Auto throttle programming

Hi Blake,
    Will put in on my TO-DO list. I'm busy now migrating from PSX to Prepar3D...

This part of your post I do not understand:
    Quote Originally Posted by blake747 View Post
    You would need to add a PSXseecon variable for simulated autothrottle value -1, 0 and 1. I think you can write in VB, maybe not SIOC. Which gives this a huge limitation in SIOC.
    What do you mean with VB? Visual Basic? Note that psxseecon is written in C++.... And what do you mean with "huge limitation in SIOC"?

Rgards,
    Nico

25+ Posting Member

Hi Nico,

What do you mean with VB? Visual Basic? Note that psxseecon is written in C++
    I have a correctly simulated auto-throttle program in VB that works on a phidget card. I would like to utilise PSXseecon for correctly simulated auto-throttle, to keep all my hardware Opencockpit. C++ would work if that is what you program in.

And what do you mean with "huge limitation in SIOC
    SIOC might not have the syntax available to make the auto-throttle working correctly. C++ might be the way.

Cheers,

Blake

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim kiek's Avatar

Hello Blake,

Then you dc motor equals 1. If all virtual levers = no change then dc motor equal 0. Either #1,#2,#3 or #4 virtual lever decreasing dc motor equals -1. -1 and 1 are only possible if your PSXseecon QS434 = 1. DC motor always equal 0 if your PSXseecon QS434 = 0
    I think the new DC motor variable only equal -1 or 1 when a change value <50 >50 is sensed. This is a buffer to preventa auto-throttle hunting, this works out around 1 degree of real TLA as a FYI.
    Trust me, It has to be done this way. I have spent weeks trying to nut this out.
    Added to version 1.0.24 (see Release notes and Manual 3.12). However, I doubt this will always work because the speed of the DC Motor in PSX is not always the same, and therefore the delta in Tla value received from PSX during lever movement varies. It is therfore not easy to find the right value upon which to decide that we are no longer moving but in the jitter area so to speak. What helps is that PSX emits throttle values at maximum of 20 times per second, while psxseecon -operating 5 times a second- averages these values to 5 per second (thus reducing jitter). What psxseecon then does is to compute the average of the 4 Lever values and to compare that average with the previous average. Is there is a difference of 25 (0.5 degrees) psxseecon concludes 'movement'. The results look good. However, sometimes I see the Levers move slowly 4 degrees in a few seconds, and that remains undetected while the delta's are less then 25.... I'm curious to your findings!

Another PSX quirk, if you disconnect the autothrottle and your throttle levers don't match you virtual levers. The virtual levers position stays the same. I think when you disconnect the autothrottle somehow PSXseecon needs to read instantaneously the real #1,#2,#3 and #4 throttle lever position.
    Added to version 1.0.24.

Hardy mentioned real hardware TLA should be read instanteous for a micro seconds, to allow pilot intervention when your PSXseecon QS434 = 1, he mention in 1 sec snaps. Maybe you have a solution?
    Still at the TO-DO list.

Regards,
    Nico

25+ Posting Member

Hi Nico,

It ain't easy trying to get the autothrottle to work. I believe this is the right path.

I am working in Sydney for the next month. I will be home next month to test the results. Maybe there are others that might be willing to add a collective results.

Cheers,

Blake

25+ Posting Member

Hi Guys,
    I am currently looking at building my Autothrottle using an OC servo card and four servos. Did you manage to get the autothrottle info sorted out in PSXseecon and SIOC?

Cheers,
    Alex B (YSSY)

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am currently looking at building my Autothrottle using an OC servo card and four servos. Did you manage to get the autothrottle info sorted out in PSXseecon and SIOC?

Cheers,
    Alex B (YSSY)
    No not for my setup the OC was not powerful enough to drive the real tq. Your setup might be less demanding.

I am using phidgets.

Cheers,

Blake

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Blake,
    As I am building my own, I was hoping for guidance on the SIOC and PSX functions I need to address. I am using mainly Opencockpits to interface home made hardware.

Cheers,
    Alex B