Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Expanding to 3 monitors

Hi

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could help. First of all I'm not very technically minded when it comes t computers, graphics cards and jargin.

I've been into FSX for a couple of years now but have just recently started expanding my hobby with SAITEK hardware i.e. Yoke, Throttle, pro flight stuff etc.

I want to run 3 monitors i.e. left view window, centre view and right view windows, and hopefully a fourth for an outside view. I currently have 1 x 19 " monitor set up to VGA. However my graphics card also has a DVI output.

I need some advice on where I stand at moment and what I need to do to move forward , if its possible at all. I've managed to find out some info on my system but its all jargin to me unfortunately. Hope this info is necessary.

System

INTEL DP35DP_
    2.00 GB RAM
    32 Bit Op. system
    4 x processor cores
    64 bit capable yes

Hard disk size - 382 GB

Graphics

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
    Total graphics memory - 1014 MB
    Dedicated - 256 MB
    Shared - 758 MB
    DADV - 8.881.0.0
    Direct X10

Can anyone give me any advice to someone who flies well but is a moron when it comes to technical stuff

Thanks

10+ Posting Member

Re: Expanding to 3 monitors

Hello geordieflyer,

Your current system looks a bit on the anemic side of things.

Golly where to start.....
    Since getting to multiple displays is going to take a substantial monetary investment on your part, I recommend first starting with a Head Tracking System.
    I use TrackIR.
    It allows you, while in Virtual Cockpit mode, to look around with small motions from your head that translate to larger motions in the VC.
    Example: You are in the pattern on the downwind leg and want to check your position reference the runway. Normally you would use a hat switch to pan left and back. With TrackIR you just turn your head 15 to 20 degrees left and your view pans 90-ish degrees left depending on sensitivity. It may take an hour or so to get acclimated, but after you do, it is completely immersive.
    TrackIR isn't cheap, I believe it is in the $150 US range.
    If you have a Yoke and Pedals then you need a TrackIR.
    TrackIR would be a cheaper, short run, alternative to improve your situation until you upgrade your machine.

Now, if you already have a TrackIR or want to upgrade anyway......
    You can run 4 displays with an nVidia 660 or higher card provided it has four outputs.
    I have an nVidia 670, running 4 displays.
    My processor is an Intel i5 overclocked to 4.5GHz

Your base machine is pretty weak, so I would not recommend sticking a new video card in it. Your power supply would probably have issues.
    In my opinion you need a new system.
    Just spit-balling but, if you build it yourself, $1500-$2000 depending on parts to build a very adequate FSX machine, which may or may or may not include the extra displays.
    That is just cost, if you have to order a machine from a specialized vendor the price will be higher.
    I can't give you specifics right now as I haven't done the research for a new machine lately.

If you want to see a pic of my setup with a 3 display span view, just click on my signature below.

~Fess
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

For a graphic card I would go with a GeForce gtx 970. It's not the most top of the line out their but it will handle multi monitors just fine. I currently have 3 32" screens with a 4th 22" screen, a headtracker ir, and I run it all on a gtx GeForce 770. Now I don't recommended that, it's not the greatest set up. This august I was going to have a new computer built. If you feel you really want a high res system, and want to spend more the GeForce gtx 980 would be the next on the line, but that's more expensive and then of course the big titans. Which are 1000 card. I wouldn't go that high. FSX will only use a set amount of ram because it's 8 years old. So your going to get a min benfit from going high end.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

as for your cpu I'd need more info then just the cores, is it intel, amd, is it a i5 or i7. For fps on fsx again their is only so much the game will take before it just won't take any more. I use a amd 6 core and it works fine on p3d. My fps tends to hover around 30 ish. Intel i5 4 core would be just fine for fsx. I wouldn't go too nuts on the processor. Unless you want to use p3d that will take more hardware and run smoother then fsx will because fsx is 8 years old.

I'm A+ compuer tech. I do this for a living. So anything you want or need to know just ask.