Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Opencockpits Engine Fire Panel P&P ... yeah right

Hello fellow simmers.

So here I am trying to find a good quality Engine Fire Panel at a good price. Since I have bought stuff from Opencockpits before, I figured I will order their “new” USB plug and play Engine Fire Panel advertised as P&P. While ordering I also noticed they listed as related products the 5V power supply and DZUS fasteners. So naturally I ordered both.

More than two weeks after I placed and paid for my order, the order still showed “processing”. So I sent Opencockpits an email. 3 days later I get a reply that they have quality issues and they will ship soon. It shipped next day. However, I’m not very happy with this delay and response.

I received the unit. This is what I found:

1. No documentation whatsoever anywhere with the unit
    2. The unit has two (2) power input connections similar to motherboard tiny fan connections. Not a standard power source connection. One says 5V and the other says <=2.9V. No clue to what each is for. No idea how to connect the unit.
    3. The power adapter has a 3.5mm mono jack and doesn’t connect to the unit. I also, have no clue what can connect to the unit.

I now have a supposedly P&P unit that I cannot “plug” and cannot “play”/use, and without a manual. I’m in a part of the world where such non-standard power connection types are not available. I later found out it is a “molex” connection. I have to order it from abroad and pay shipping and wait another week for delivery. Therefore not only the power adapter I bought is useless but the unit itself cannot be plugged to any standrad power source unless I invent a connection for it or perhaps go rip one of the power connections for the fans from someone’s motherboard. Why doesn't the unit have a proper power input socket? I have no clue how to connect it now. Also, it has two power connections (5V and a <2.9V) and there are no documents or instructions at all as to which is which and for what purpose and which should be connected. So not only I have a useless power adapter, I also have no way to know how to connect the unit or even "create" a connector for it or which connection on the unit to use. Is this a fair deal from a reputable company?

Why isn’t this product ready for the market and for the consumer and yet advertised as P&P. Why do I have to be so frustrated after paying for something that is nothing close to P&P and cannot be used without further work.

And even if I plug it to a power source, how to set it up? I know it will not magically appear in Prosim or SIOC. Where is the documentation?

So, I send Opencockpits an email complaining.

5 days later,
    I get this reply:

Sorry for the mistake.
    I suppose you have the power supply with the 3,5mm mono jack connection, isn't true?
    You need to convert the power source to molex type. The 5 volts power supply has the positive in the center pole (tip of the jack) and the GND to the other contact.
    The fire module has a male 2 contacts molex connector. The positive must go to the nearest pin to the usb connector, the gnd goes to the farest pin.
    Is the same connection which have the Master card.

--

I eventually found a document from Opencockpits after a very long search that has the guide for the Engine Fire Panel. Why couldn’t they simply print it and stuff it in the damn box. They have it … why not use it? Why get the customer so worked up. It doesn’t solve the power connection issue. It also does not explain how to configure the device for SIOC. It only lists the ssi variables but not the device connectivity in SIOC ini or Prosim ...etc

I followed the instructions and inserted all the variable lines in the SSI file. I defined the variables connected to device 6 where it said Device XX. What is next? how do I connect it as device 6 to SIOC? Even if I define it in the sioc.ini file (which I'm not sure how), how is the USB detected. It is not. Why aren't there complete instructions. This is so frustrating.

Now waiting for Opencockpits to answer these questions.

Why the frustration … why???

If anyone bought and used this unit, kindly let me know how to set up the sioc.ini and the USB detection. I inserted all variables in the SSI file as per their documentation.

Thanks
    Rob

25+ Posting Member

Re: Opencockpits Engine Fire Panel P&P ... yeah right

Update from Opencockpits today:

Dear Customer.
    You are absolutely right, so we are sending you a new power supply with the right connector. Please excuse us for the troubles.
    Kind regards.

Miguel
    Opencockpits Sales

----

I still need help in configuration if anyone knows how to do it. Much appreciated.
    Rob

25+ Posting Member

Did you download the Script for Prosim ?

http://www.opencockpits.com/uploads/...0ProSim737.zip

25+ Posting Member

With all that Sioc thing nothing is P&P , no wonder why they call them Plug and Pray

25+ Posting Member

Hi tote_320. Thanks for the link. I checked the download. Other than the xml file (which I will include now in Prosim), all the other variables are loaded in my SIOC ssi config file. I think the problem is in identifying that the unit is on a USB port and detecting it in SIOC. After that the SIOC variables should map to Prosim fine (I hope).

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Hi, You only have to add one line about your USB device to the MASTER section in sioc.ini ...Nico

25+ Posting Member

Hi Nico, but don't I need the numeric USB port assignment to include in the master line? I don't have that, and which device type would this unit be? Thanks for your help Nico.

Plug in your USB device, Start SIOC and look in de Devices subwindow. There you should see your device and what number it has got in your PC. The device type should be stated in the documentation for your Fire Engine panel.

More infore about devices here: http://www.lekseecon.nl/howto.html#device

Rgrds, Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 09-25-2014 at 11:57 AM.

From the Documentation (!) (ProsiM use) (....)

// Master Device 19: Fire Engines P&P module
    // You will need this line in sioc.ini:
    //
    // MASTER=19,19,1, #ID

So you only have to find out the ID of your USB device, like I posted before....

Rgrds,
    Nico

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    From the Documentation (!) (ProsiM use) (....)

// Master Device 19: Fire Engines P&P module
    // You will need this line in sioc.ini:
    //
    // MASTER=19,19,1, #ID

So you only have to find out the ID of your USB device, like I posted before....

Rgrds,
    Nico
    Yes, I understand that and that's how I did all my devices, throttles, overhead, servos ...etc. This unit however is not coming up with a USB id in SIOC and not being detected. I thought like some devices the USB will be recognized without power on to the unit just like the Saitek yoke and other comm devices I have, but I guess without a proper power adapter for the unit the USB will not be discovered. I'm waiting to receive the adapter by mail, maybe another week or so. Unless the USB is not functioning.

Thanks for your help Nico Much appreciated.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast