Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Researching- Electronic solution for simple rudders

Hello
    I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I am new to MyCockpit and I am amazed by the awesome cockpits people are building.
    I am a casual sim player on a limited budget, and researching DIY rudder pedals for Rise of Flight, a WW1 sim, so my needs are simple at this time.

Also, I am not trying to re-create an actual cockpit, my goal is to turn a pot with my feet comfortably and reliably lol.
    I have the mechanical parts spec'd out to the point where I am needing info on the electronics. So far cost in supplies and materials is under $20 for the mechanicals, and it will be simple but rugged. No cables or pulleys to mess with.

In a nutshell instead of a pair of foot pedals I will be using the bearing assembly of a lazy Susan, with the pot fixed in the center and a simple aluminum crossbar for the foot controls to rotate the pot. Simple, affordable, rugged, ugly, effective.

LAZY SUSAN
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A33B7H5EWK643V

I have two paths, gut a joystick for the electronics or get a PIC controller. I am favoring the latter.

Of the HID compliant devices, I have found some DIY projects where you basically build your own pc board and program the pic using someone's code. Well I could handle that but I am looking to get this online pretty quick and I don't feel like messing with debugging.
    The "plug & play" HID compliant devices I have found are not too pricey, about the cost of an average joystick.

They are overkill for ROF rudders, but what the heck, it leaves room for expansion of my virtual cockpit if I ever wanted to move on to another more complex sim, so they are worth the investment.

The thing is, the pages I got some of this info from are rather dated, and I don't know if the products are available.

LEO BODNAR
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=204

MARTZIS
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Martzis-...86a9b1&afsrc=1

GP WIZ 40 MAX
    http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_81&products_id=235

On the subject of gutting a joystick, I am looking at the Logitech 3D Pro family. I don't relish gutting a perfectly good joystick but I will if necessary.

So, Any suggestions for an inexpensive electronic solution are appreciated.
    Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Intel i5 Quad
    Win 8.1
    8g Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GT720
    Saitek x52 Flight Controller

Re: Researching- Electronic solution for simple rudders

GPWiz boards do not support pots, and the Bodnar board is very expensive considering you only need one analogue input.

I would hack a joystick. Find a used joystick on Ebay or in your attic and gut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avro748 View Post
    GPWiz boards do not support pots, and the Bodnar board is very expensive considering you only need one analogue input.

I would hack a joystick. Find a used joystick on Ebay or in your attic and gut it.

Thank you for the reply. Ok, I will look at that as a solution.
    btw- is the flight console in your avatar your cockpit?
    If so, wow! It is awesome

You're not the first to have asked that. I wish it was! Sadly, it's only the real thing, as my cockpit is not yet complete enough to show as my avatar (Though that might change over the next two weeks).