10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Software / Hardware configurations

Hi,

I'm starting a construction of a home cockpit and have been doing a lot of research on it.

I've been looking at the software/hardware setup/configurations and it all looks very daunting to say the least.

I thought it would be a case of wiring all gauges, switches, LED's etc from the MIP to a circuit board(s), plugging them in to your PC, and using software like ProSim737 or PMDG to set everything up, but it doesn't appear to be that simple.

From what I understand, different software runs different parts of the MIP, with different types of interfaces.

Does anyone have a basic schematic drawing from the MIP to the PC showing the various software/hardware options available and configurations possible?

I'm not a novice to computers and computer programming, but I'm really wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew !

Cheers

Andrew

MyCockpit Support Staff

Re: Software / Hardware configurations

Hi Andrew,
    I won't recommend a specific product over a competitor's product but I will give you a description of what I chose for my sim which is working great!

Prosim737 - it is fantastic software and very simple to configure.
    3 x FDS SYS boards for interface - switches and LEDs
    2 x FDS Promax FMCs
    2 x FDS AFDS units
    CP Flight MCP & 2 x EFIS units
    6 x OpenCockpits radio units

Save where you can but my advice is to avoid compromising when choosing the "brains" of your sim!

Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

10+ Posting Member

Hi Gwyn,

Thanks for your reply.

One of my concerns was how the circuit boards communicate with the software, in your case Prosim737. Is there any programming to do?

Also, what gauges did you use on your MIP?

Thanks

Andrew

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Prosim supports the main interface boards that are available by default. No programming, just assign the switch inputs and led outputs.

It also supports the flight illusion gauges, so they work after a quick setup. I'm not sure about other gauges (I use FI), but again, the main interfaces you might use are supported within prosim.

I keep hearing bad things about SIOC programming, and although i have no experience with it, I've heard enough to recommend staying clear of gear that needs it.

Plug and Play all the way!

Sean