Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cool Cockpit Cooling Question

Hi Guys I just thought I'd ask here what you think would be the best way and most cost effective way to cool a fully enclosed fixed base flight simulator, I have recently completed a build from plans from Sim Samurai of the Stallion model which I'm very happy with. The thing is I live in Australia and it gets pretty warm here in summer even with airconditioning and the box with me and the sim will be very hot if I don't find a way to cool things down as I have 6 monitors and other equipment in there that give off a fair amount of heat.
    I was thinking of fans at the back pushing air through the box and another fan pushing it out the front but didn't know if this was the best way to go hence me asking here, so if anyone has found a good way to keep things cool in their simpit please do tell as it may just be what I need for mine
    Thanks in advance.

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: Cockpit Cooling Question

The computers own cooling system can be enough if the PC's are not enclosed within the shell and there is open air for circulation. Ensure the fans and vents are not covered, it can be helpful to elevate the PC's off the floor slightly. If additional cooling is required a standard office fan would probably be adequate. I would advise against air conditioning just to cool PCs mainly due to it's harmful effect on the environment.

Hope that helps,
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Hi Geremy thanks for the reply but perhaps I didn't explain properly, this is a Fully enclosed pit and there are not too many gaps so I will have to make some sort of air flow points in the shell or when we start hitting the high 38's + then I'd be cooking inside it with no fans or some sort of cooling. my pc is liquid cooled but I know it won't be enough on it's own.

75+ Posting Member

I have similar problem in North Carolina in the summer. My cockpit is about 3/4 enclosed with 5 monitors and 5 computers. Surprisingly the 24" monitors give off most of the heat. I have a floor fan blowing into the cockpit thru the rear door and it keeps the cockpit comfortable but it's noisy and too breezy. I'd like a better solution.

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ticker7 View Post
    Hi Guys I just thought I'd ask here what you think would be the best way and most cost effective way to cool a fully enclosed fixed base flight simulator, I have recently completed a build from plans from Sim Samurai of the Stallion model which I'm very happy with. The thing is I live in Australia and it gets pretty warm here in summer even with airconditioning and the box with me and the sim will be very hot if I don't find a way to cool things down as I have 6 monitors and other equipment in there that give off a fair amount of heat.
    I was thinking of fans at the back pushing air through the box and another fan pushing it out the front but didn't know if this was the best way to go hence me asking here, so if anyone has found a good way to keep things cool in their simpit please do tell as it may just be what I need for mine
    Thanks in advance.
    Do you have any photos of your build? What do you think of the Sim Samurai?

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ticker7 View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi ticker7,

I use the large PC fans, (200cm I think) each wired to a PC power supply with separate switches. I have 2 in the deckhead, 2 on the side, and 2 in the rear. The ones in the deckhead suck the hot air out, and the other ones blow the cool air in. It is based on the same principle as the cooling for a PC. It is amazing how much air these fans move. A lot of the time in the winter I only need to switch on the deckhead exhaust fans, and it is enough.

Here is a pic of them in my B-17 pit:
    http://a2asimulations.com/forum/view...2072&start=300

Bill

300+ Forum Addict

Hey Guys,

The way I worked things out is by not having the PC's in the cockpit. You can use extension (VGA and USB) cables, and then use tightVNC for interfacing to each PC when needed. Next, I used a fan behind the MIP that blows the heat from behind them out the front side of the shell (my shell is a real one).

I already have a portable AC in the room, that has a built in de/humidifier, as well as a window AC, that I use 6" PVC pipe, to take the cold air from there to the back and top of the shell. So, the cold air falls down into the inside of the shell. Then, I have two HVAC type vents higher up, on the back side and top to allow hot air too natural vent out.

The primary thing is you move the air inside the shell and out into the room. Although, if your room is warm or hot already, you're just blowing that into the shell, adding more heat to it, and then blowing it back out into the room. Therefore, you must have cool air to begin with and only blow hot air out of the shell and room together.

You do that by placing an exhaust fan on the top of the shell as close to the room's ceiling as possible, and since all heat rises, you also place an exterior exhaust fan on a wall and up by the ceiling, that is opposite of the prevailing winds of the room. That will now blow the hot air outside the room. You can use an thermostat on the exterior outside exhaust fan to open and turn-on a set temps. That way you won't blow cold air out of the room; assuming, the room AC is putting out more cold then your sim can generate heat...

John

You can DIY air conditioner by combining a bucket of ice with a fan. Cheap, quick, and good for a few hours.