Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Throttle cockpit hardware questions

Hi everybody!

I'm new to hardware cockpits but have been around flight simming for a while. For reasons best left unsaid I've decided to build a hardware cockpit, and if it is successful convert it to a motion platform. I've just ordered a Bodnar board and some Hall effect sensors, have a Universal Joint from a car driveshaft waiting to arrive from eBay. I have some questions though.

I plan to make a combined helicopter/fixed wing cockpit, including joystick, pedals, collective/throttle quadrant. Wood and metal working at a hobbyist DIY level is not a problem. My question to you experienced cockpit makers, is how do you make hardware controls such as throttle levers without friction at a low cost? My problem is that I don't know the right keywords to google, all I seem to get are plumbing supplies (!)

Do you just use a bolt and a couple of washers and accept friction as part of the experience, do you use miniature ball-races and weld them onto a shaft? Is there something I'm missing?

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Throttle cockpit hardware questions

I have just started planning my own Throttlequadrant and trimbox and trying to figure out the best way to get a controlable friction on the levers. Not really sure what you mean, but I am quite positive there will always be some friction on a quadrant. If not, the levers would fall back to the lowest point by them selves. like the throttle on my F.L.Y stick does now.