75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Building a Menu Selection Encoder for GPS

I decided to take a break from instrument modifications and work on my panel mounted GPS. I wasnít able to find a ready made encoder to perform the menu switching function, so I built this one from scratch. Itís basically a metal tube and a rod which fits inside of it. I used (2) 8-pulse per revolution encoders so the menu selections would be spaced apart with knob rotation.

The center knob is attached to a long ľĒdia rod, which is attached to the encoder/switch. I used a Panasonic EVE-PDBRL408B encoder (Digikey P12421-ND), as this encoder has a large metal button which could be drilled to accept the rod, with a bit of epoxy to keep it attached.

The outer knob is attached to the 3/8Ē dia tube. Because the back end of the tube is inaccessible, I used a couple of gears left over from a previous project. A metal gear is attached to the end of the tube and a nylon gear was mounted on the other encoder shaft, a Grayhill 25LB45-Q (Digikey GH7410-ND). This encoder was mounted off to the side so it could be gear driven from the tube. I used a short piece of larger tube cemented to an aluminum plate to support the working tube, and used collars to allow rotation without linear movement.

The rest of the construction consisted of using scrap parts to assemble a frame to support the encoders.

I appreciate the positive feedback you guys have sent from my other construction postings, so Iíll keep them up as long as there is interest. Maybe someone can offer up an easier solution to this encoder installation, it ended up taking considerably more time than I had anticipated.

Encoder-for-GPS.jpg

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Building a Menu Selection Encoder for GPS

Steve,
    Leo Bodnars site has alps dual encoder with switch, not cheap but it is what I used for my GNS530. Does all the
    functions of the Right hand controls of a GNS530.
    Do admire your handy work and much cheaper to. Keep the ideas coming.
    Les

Double post because Forum playing funny Buggars
    Les

75+ Posting Member

Hi Les,
    Thanks. Actually the cost is pretty similar to what i spent. I had researched Digikey, Mouser and AlliedElectronics, nothing even remotely useful, so I gave up. Other than not liking the knobs Leo has to go with the encoder, it is a far easier solution than mine.
    I hadn't examined his website earlier, I guess that's probably because I knew his electronics work directly with the Microsoft interface, bypassing the Arduinos and L2FSX, which eliminates any possibility of using the Arduino's capability to perform special processing. For instance, you could set up a dual yoke system and use the Arduino to sense which yoke is being used, but Microsoft will only accept a single yoke connection. He does have some useful components, however. I wish I had seen that encoder before I started.

Yes I know what you mean, many a time have happened across something too late.
    Les

75+ Posting Member vikingsraven's Avatar

hi been working on using multiple encoders via one set of knobs.
    encoders.png
    the gear on the left is fixed to the second encoder, the one on the right spins freely on the first encoder shaftencode.png
    the cap then feeds down through the centre of the right gear and fixes to the first encoder.
    i have printed a test as shown above , it needs a bit of a tweak but it works, you can still use the push button as well

75+ Posting Member

Excellent job Vikingsraven.

I'm impressed with how compact you were able to make the selector. It looks like the upper gear in your photo is destined to become the outer knob when you get it finished. What are you using for the display?

75+ Posting Member vikingsraven's Avatar

thanks SteveL.
    the upper gear is a knob, pictures not very clear. its actually connected to the gear by a hex shape and push fits in.
    Still in development got loads of scrap printed bits laying around at the moment.
    obviously you'll have to cut the left hand shaft down, then use a larger hole for the outer edge of the first knob.
    im not actually using it on anything at the moment, just playing around.
    once i have a definitive version ill post the stl files on here and anyone who has access to a 3d printer can print them off for you.