Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Throttle Quadrant Help

Firstly, I am new to this and need some help. I have some good engineering and electronic skills but no computer programming experience etc.

I have an actual Grumman Intruder Throttle Quadrant and I want to adapt it to use as a HOTAS for Sim gaming. There are LOTS of buttons/functions (ie: Mic, Icom, ENG starters, Flare, Chaff, SPD Brake, Lights, Flap etc) which are connected to a 54 pin Canon plug (see attached pic). The Throttles have mechanical linkages.

I need to find out how to make the connections for a computer USB. I have NO IDEA where and how to begin...Is this achievable or am I out of my depth??

Thanks for any advice
    A6 Quadrant.jpg

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: Throttle Quadrant Help

There are two main ways you can go about this, however both will require opening up the unit to see whats inside.
    You will likely need to replace the electronics such as the potentiometers however it has been done with the ones in situ as used in service.

you will need to find out where the wires go for each of the functions you want to wire (ie. all the potentiometers, and the button) and draw up a pin out diagram so you know what pins do what. You could also get rid of the cannon connector and just solder to the wires once they're cut from the cannon plug however that would modify the unit from being standard. once you know what wires go where you can wire everything to a bodnar card which will cover the buttons and axis present on this unit.

hope that helps,
    Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Geremy Britton View Post
    There are two main ways you can go about this, however both will require opening up the unit to see whats inside.
    You will likely need to replace the electronics such as the potentiometers however it has been done with the ones in situ as used in service.

you will need to find out where the wires go for each of the functions you want to wire (ie. all the potentiometers, and the button) and draw up a pin out diagram so you know what pins do what. You could also get rid of the cannon connector and just solder to the wires once they're cut from the cannon plug however that would modify the unit from being standard. once you know what wires go where you can wire everything to a bodnar card which will cover the buttons and axis present on this unit.

hope that helps,
    Regards
    Many thanks for the quick reply.
    I intend to wire a connecting cannon plug so i dont have to cut the wires. I can easily trace the source of each pin but have no experience with potientiometers or bodnar cards. any extra info would be golden.

the throttle levers are a mechanical types so i guess i will have somehow rig potientiometers on them?

innes

Many thanks Geremy

I did reply earlier but it seem to have gotten lost. I have now mapped all the Pins to buttons and am on the way to buying a bodnar card. I will have to rig some pots to the levers somehow as they are mechanical. good fun stuff.

Cheers

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Glad you're figuring things out - It's a good learning curve.

There could be existing pots in there if it was a training thing or more likely it'll be a chain/pulley type system operating the throttle. Either way if you can translate the movement of the throttle levers to the turning of a potentiometer you're in business.

Good luck.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk