Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Joystick Resolution - Much difference between 10 bit and 12 bit?

I am looking at what cards I can use to interface linked yokes (thus only needing one set of inputs) and rudder pedals. TQ will be handled by Phidgets and a Pokeys card.

Now the Bodnar card sports 12-Bit resolution while the Pokeys USB has 10-bit resolution. I'm trying to keep my setup limited to either Pokeys or Phidgets card.

So how much of a difference is there between 10 bit (1024 steps) and 12 bit (4096 steps) in the home sim environment?

Re: Joystick Resolution - Much difference between 10 bit and 12 bit?

It all depends on what you're doing with the pot.
    Think about it this way:
    A low resolution image can appear to have a higher resolution if you make it small enough.
    A low resolution pot card can appear to have a high resolution if the travel of your device (Lever, Yoke, Etc.) is small enough.
    Almost all potentiometers travel 270 degrees. Most throttles travel 90 degrees, which wouldn't make the difference incredibly noticeable. However, if you want to maximize the use of 10 bit resolution, some gearing work can allow you to feel like you have a much higher resolution. By placing the correct gears, the ninety degrees of the lever's travel will turn the pot the full 270 degrees. Even though the pot is only being read at 1024 steps per 270 degrees (four steps per degree), the shrunken travel of it gives the illusion of having 1024 steps per 90 degrees (eleven steps per degree).

On the other hand, say you have a trim wheel. If you want it to turn many times, you will have to do the opposite with the gears or get a multi turn potentiometer. In that case, 12 bit does have a noticeable difference.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: Joystick Resolution - Much difference between 10 bit and 12 bit?

Thanks for the advice... never thought of it that way.

Will just try the 10-bit that comes with the Pokeys for control surface inputs... if it feels clunky, then I'll just get a small Bodnar card.