25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What Link2Fs extraction to use for a Turn Indicator Needle?

Hi there, I've been trying out Link2Fs for a month and indeed, I am deeply impressed by all the functionality it provides. Now what i am trying to do is a servo- driven turn/slip indicator with an Arduino Card and FS9. The thing is, i don't know which FS9/Link2fs extraction to use in order to drive turn indicator needle. So far i've been using Ground velocity Z ( ?z ). In my understanding that one should be similar to Yaw Rate , but not quite, since it behaves in a strange way - when i initiate a turn on ground by using Ruder Pedals, if the turn is on the left, the extraction goes positive (+ 000,1 +010,0) and on the right goes negative ( -000,1 -010,0). But if i am commencing a turn in the air by using ailerons, the extraction is quite opposite - the values are negative when i am turning left and positive on the right. This behaviour results in swinging the needle opposite of the appropriate side, when i use rudder to turn the aircraft.
    Another extraction i've been trying for the purpose of driving turn indicator needle is: < J Heading , the difference btw. the new and the old heading over time in particular, again -with a moderate success though. What i am trying to ask is - if there is a foul -proven way to accomplish the task and what extraction is the most appropriate to use?

25+ Posting Member

Re: What Link2Fs extraction to use for a Turn Indicator Needle?

Some update - apparently the extraction ' Ground Velocity Z ' is not what i tough. It is not a yaw rate. After some more reading trough the FS Connect documentation, i found that the extraction needed to drive a turn coordinator needle is called:
    DELTA_HEADING_RATE ( Pseudegr./Sec). Unfortunately, it is not part of the Link2FS yet. Alternatively, I have to find a way to determine the rate of heading change over time by using extraction for heading and matching it with the change of time. I tought, the turn coordinator is the easyest instrument to build, but turned out not to be that way.

75+ Posting Member

Re: What Link2Fs extraction to use for a Turn Indicator Needle?

Hello trakon...

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

036E 1 Turn co-ordinator ball position (slip and skid). –128 is extreme left, +127 is extreme right, 0 is balanced.

Try adding that offset to the Experts FSUIPC Extractions and see what it shows you when you fly.

There is also:

0380 4 32-bit floating point turn coordinator ball position, –1.0 to +1.0
    0384 4 32-bit floating point turn rate, degrees per second (–3.0 to +3.0 is equivalent to the 2 mins left/right range)

You could experiment with all 3, fly around and see what values it shows you.

Mike